Author Topic: New matches - how can this happen?  (Read 737 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New matches - how can this happen?
« on: Friday 05 August 22 07:51 BST (UK) »
Some years ago, when Ancestry announced that they were cutting out all matches at 7cM and 6cM, a kind Rootschatter shared an automated process for preserving all these low matches by adding them to a group. I used it and kept mine.
Gradually, I viewed them all, so that now if I look at "unviewed" it will genuinely be only new matches - those that have been added in the last few days.

Today I looked at my unviewed matches and was surprised to see one at 6cM with a group marker. How had that manage to elude me earlier? It was several months ago I completed viewing all my low matches. Has Ancestry been hiding some matches and now they are just resurfacing? I was surprised how quickly I got through my 6cM "no tree" matches, having concentrated on those with trees first.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New matches - how can this happen?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 22 14:55 BST (UK) »
I remember suggesting Grouping low cM many years ago.

It is also useful to create a Research Further Group for those who for whatever reason may be of interest, I have 63 in my Group but cannot remember what interests me in them!

I still have some of the low cM matches in one of my Groups.

Two have the surname Duncalf but their tree does not go very far back, it stops at Alfred Edward b1910

In the single name tree on tribal pages he is not listed and as yet I have not got around to researching further.

To get back to your question, I have no idea.

If you want to bang your head against a wall open up a chat window with Ancestry Support and try and ger a meaningful answer from them.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 22 23:45 BST (UK) »
Is it possible someone changed their username?
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 07:16 BST (UK) »
Is it possible someone changed their username?

Coincidentally I have another match who did change her username from a nickname to her real name, but she didn't show up as an unread match. I know she was the same person, because Ancestry had identified her as having a common ancestor and I had added notes to her entry after verification.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 August 22 10:59 BST (UK) »
Isn't it an option when you do the test to not show up as a match? I am not sure if it is later possible to change your mind, perhaps if it is, that might explain this?

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 August 22 12:40 BST (UK) »
Oh, yes, that could explain it, if you can keep chopping and changing. If the match was showing when I automatically tagged the 6 cM matches, then decided not to show it when I went through and viewed them all, then changed their mind and let it show again, so it then came up as unviewed.