Author Topic: Ladies Maid to the duchess of Gloucester  (Read 1475 times)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ladies Maid to the duchess of Gloucester
« on: Saturday 06 August 22 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching a number of people who worked for the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and a name that has appeared is Miss Edith Mary Elliott (1891 to 1976). She was a ladys maid to the Duchess in the 1940s and 1950s during part of the period when they lived in Barnwell Manor, Northamptonshire.

I wondered if there might be some local information on the staff who worked at the Manor and in particular any information on Edith.

Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ladies Maid to the duchess of Gloucester
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 22 15:15 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 August 22 15:22 BST (UK) »
I thought the posts were county specific hence my posting in two. Northumberland where she lived as a child and Northamptonshire where she worked for The Duchess of Gloucester.

I was looking for local information and thought that might be the best way to get a response.

Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 August 22 16:01 BST (UK) »
Duplicate posts about the same person - irrespective of the locality - will attract duplicate replies.

On this board - you are asking for info about the staff who worked at Barnwell which is fine.

However - by including Edith specifically - particularly without any reference to your other post about her - will waste time with duplicate info from people who are unaware of your other post.

Most online records for that period stop at the 1939 register & the BMD index

Have you contacted Barnwell direct to establish whether any staff records are available for that period?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 August 22 16:23 BST (UK) »
Duplicate posts about the same person - irrespective of the locality - will attract duplicate replies.

On this board - you are asking for info about the staff who worked at Barnwell which is fine.

However - by including Edith specifically - particularly without any reference to your other post about her - will waste time with duplicate info from people who are unaware of your other post.

Most online records for that period stop at the 1939 register & the BMD index

Have you contacted Barnwell direct to establish whether any staff records are available for that period?

Thanks for the clarification,

Its sometime since Barnwell belonged to The Gloucesters so I have gone the route of the current Duke and Duchess via Kensington Palace.

Offline timh54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 March 23 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I have just come across your post.  Edith Elliott was my great aunt.  She lived with my grandmother once she retired from service with Alice Duchess of Gloucester.  I have quite a bit if information about her life that I can pass on if you like.
Regards,
Tim

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 23 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your mail. I would highly appreciate any information that you may have on Edith. 

Of course, the holy grail for any researcher are photographs. Should you have any I could send you my email address as this would make communication somewhat easier.

I did reach out to the current staff of the Gloucesters and, although most helpful, could not provide any further information.

Paul

Offline timh54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 March 23 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I do have photographs and other information about her time with the Duchess.  She accompanied her on many overseas trips including the time the Duke was Governor General of Australia.

If you email me  I will send you photos.

Regards,

Tim

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 March 23 16:01 BST (UK) »
You should remove your email as this is a public forum.

Use the private message system to let the OP know what it is.

Nesta