Author Topic: Alice Maud Nattriss early 20s or late 20s?  (Read 718 times)

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ggg-grandad William Vine
    • View Profile
Alice Maud Nattriss early 20s or late 20s?
« on: Thursday 11 August 22 13:29 BST (UK) »
Photo is either Alice Maud Nattriss and daughters Winifred (b.1909) and Joan (b.1914) or Florence Jane Nattriss and daughters Evelyn (b.1905) and Mildred (b.1908). I remember visiting aunt Evelyn in the 1960s but impossible to recognise from a vague memory! Back of photo inscription is just "Ma + Daughters". Alice and Florence were married to two brothers, Ernest and Alfred Nattriss (my grandmother was their sister Florence Nattriss). Photo has gone sepia and faded. I scanned it at 600dpi, reduced the brightness and increased the contrast; reduced by linear 50% to allow upload.  It was taken somewhere in Hackney or West Ham - a number of possible addresses. An estimated date might help to identify which of the two families this is!
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Maud Nattriss early 20s or late 20s?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 22 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Comparing the clothing and hair styles with those in my ref books, I'd suggest that it's mid-late 1920s.

Gadget

My maiin concern is the length of 'Ma's' dress.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 22 20:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry - if their birth dates are as you say, it must be early 1920s.  The girls look early to mid teens.

add - My line dropped while I was checking the birth dates.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 August 22 22:11 BST (UK) »
I am not sure that the girls look 5 years apart in age, so I would suggest they are Evelyn and Mildred.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 22 22:48 BST (UK) »
I would agree with Evelyn and Winifred but do these girls look 15 and 12?? I think they look younger.

Evelyn and Mildred are 3 years apart
Winifred  and Joan are 5 years apart

Early to mid 20s
Evelyn 15-20, Mildred 12-17
Winifred 11-16 , Joan 6- 11

Mid - late 20s
Evelyn 20-25, Mildred 17-22
Winifred 16-21 , Joan 11-17

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 August 22 22:54 BST (UK) »
I would agree with Evelyn and Winifred but do these girls look 15 and 12?? I think they look younger.

Early to mid 20s
Evelyn 15-20, Mildred 12-17

Yes, I think they could be about 12 and 15 - but not much older than that.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 August 22 22:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry - if their birth dates are as you say, it must be early 1920s.  The girls look early to mid teens.

add - My line dropped while I was checking the birth dates.

I would agree with Gadget as I think it is the best fit, but before I saw any dates or replies, I thought it could around WW1  ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 August 22 23:03 BST (UK) »
I wondering if it could be  just post WW1,  Carol.

silicondale, Is there anything on the back of the photo (apart from the written description)  that might help?

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ggg-grandad William Vine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 August 22 06:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all! Early 20s, Evelyn & Mildred, would make some sense. I do have my grandmother's wedding group photo from 1920 which I haven't yet checked, but 'Ma' should be on that - though of course she wouldn't be identified! I have found an earlier (c.1909-1910) group photo of Ernest's family with Alice and baby Winifred, and Alice has dark hair and completely different hairstyle, though facial features are similar. I wish my grandmother had identified people. Amazing set of photos in her album, but few of them with any clues as to who they are or when they were taken!
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)