Author Topic: BURIAL LOCATION of John HUTTON d1903 Edinburgh  (Read 3974 times)

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BURIAL LOCATION of John HUTTON d1903 Edinburgh
« on: Thursday 11 August 22 20:00 BST (UK) »
I would like to identify the BURIAL LOCATION of

John HUTTON
d1903Apr15 at 7 Windmill Street, Edinburgh
funeral to be held on "Saturday" (presumably 1903Apr18) according to newspaper cutting (not sure which newspaper or what date - the file title includes "familysearch.org_ark _61903_3 1 3Q9M-CSWP-RS5R-X cc=2562514")

I haven't found the burial on SP Church Registers.
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BURIAL LOCATION of John HUTTON d1903 Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 22 20:14 BST (UK) »
The notice appeared in the Edinburgh Evening News on Thursday 16th and Friday 17th April 1903:

HUTTON. - At 7 Windmill Street, on the 15th (the house
of his son-in-law), JOHN HUTTON, compositor, late of
Oliver & Boyd's. Funeral, Saturday, at 4 o' clock. All
friends invited.

Do you know the name of his wife and when she died? Her funeral notice (if there is one) might mention the graveyard.

I have just answered that question. His wife was Mary Ann, and appears in the 1881 census, but is dead by 1891. I can see no funeral notice for her in the Edinburgh papers.

SP gives her year of death as 1883.

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 22 23:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest and help!

Mary Ann (nee WRIGHT) HUTTON d1883Nov26 at 5 S St James St, Edinburgh.  I have the death certificate.
I don't know if this is relevant but I know Mary's father William had been a flesher/butcher at the Fleshmarket (off High St) and was buried in Canongate kirkyard in 1838.  The burial record has the exact location of his grave but today there is no grave marker at the spot (just plain grass!).

It struck me that since John Hutton's newspaper notice didn't mention location, it must have been obvious?  Like there was only one place in that locality that a funeral might be held?
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 August 22 00:36 BST (UK) »
You will see in this map that Windmill Street is just to the west of George Square. The nearest graveyard would be Greyfriars. However, he may have lived elsewhere when his wife died. The mourners would have gathered at the house at the prescribed time and the cortege made its way to the cemetery.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/90719482

I see in 1883 he was at 1 North St James' Street, which you will find on the above map beside St James' Square, just north east of Register House, where the old St James Centre was.

https://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/archive/83471979

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 August 22 00:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this insight!  Are you surmising, or what makes you think this?  There's no wrong answer, I'm just curious

The mourners would have gathered at the house at the prescribed time and the cortege made its way to the cemetery.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 August 22 04:31 BST (UK) »
You can't be certain where he was buried, but these are from other funeral notices in the same paper on the 17th:

"Funeral from Hospital to Cemetery, on Sunday, at 2.30 p.m."

"Funeral on Saturday, at 4 o'clock, to Eastern Cemetery."

"Funeral on Sunday  at 2 o'clock from Blackford Road to Eastern Cemetery."

"Funeral on Saturday, 3.30, from 2 Dalgety Road, to Piershill Cemetery."

You'll see that the time given is for the mourners to gather at the house (or in one case at the hospital). Very few funeral services were held in churches, in the same way that most marriages and very many christenings were held at home, not in a church.

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 August 22 09:21 BST (UK) »
Oh this is great, thanks.  Piershill Cemetery (which is the same place as "Eastern Cemetery" as far as I know) sounds a good shout - I will make enquiries.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 August 22 09:43 BST (UK) »
There is no guarantee at all that he is buried at Piershill. I just posted that to show you that the time indicated is the time the mourners gathered at the house.

Do you know where his parents were buried? Maybe there was a family lair in another cemetery.

Offline Dexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 August 22 11:03 BST (UK) »
Oh this is great, thanks.  Piershill Cemetery (which is the same place as "Eastern Cemetery" as far as I know) sounds a good shout - I will make enquiries.

Is the Eastern Cemetery not the one on Drum Terrace just off Easter Road?

Another one to consider, and close to Windmill Street, might be East Preston Street.