Author Topic: Illegitimate Children marrying  (Read 647 times)

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate Children marrying
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 August 22 00:12 BST (UK) »
Will have a look at that, thanks Sinnan :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate Children marrying
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 August 22 06:07 BST (UK) »
He was born as Hugh Henry Arthur Cushnahan in 1885 to his mother Jane Cushnahan and an unknown father.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02629/1969893.pdf

He appears in 1901 with them and appears in 1911 with just his aunt.
He was known for his voice and was a popular folk singer in the area, his wife was name Annie so I believe the following is his marriage record:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1917/09750/5538486.pdf

On this record his father is named as George. Would this be some sly hint as to a bio fathers name or is it possible he just made it up? the name George doesnt really appear in this family so it has confused me.
I've found in most cases where a father isn't named, his name is used within the name of the child as either a forename/middle name/surname as a middle name.

Have you checked out addresses, witnesses etc. from census' to marriage i.e. is the marriage venue close to where he was living on the census' & are witnesses traceable as possible relatives.

Lots of things to check out especially as you say the name George doesn't appear in the family.

My concern is the fact he's given his father's surname as that of his mother' maiden name.

I've got quite a few illegitimates marrying but the fathers' surnames are given as a different surname to that of the mother.

A bit more searching I think in this case.

I'd also recommend DNA!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"