Author Topic: How many pubs in Ffrwd?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How many pubs in Ffrwd?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 August 22 19:54 BST (UK) »
One more publican - William Sanderson (who was foreman of the jury) had the Cross Foxes at Pentre Broughton.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 August 22 19:56 BST (UK) »
But what puzzled me about this story was I'm sure there was never a railway there

It was the Frood Ironworks branch line according to the inquest report

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 August 22 20:03 BST (UK) »
But what puzzled me about this story was I'm sure there was never a railway there

News to me. No trace of it on my old maps - it can only have gone along the Nant-y-Ffrith valley, very wooded nowadays.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 August 22 20:17 BST (UK) »

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 August 22 05:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for all the replies - could spend a long time playing with the side by side map!
There was a Black Horse in Top Road, Summer Hill (now demolished) - too far from Pentre Broughton to be the one mentioned?

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 August 22 11:14 BST (UK) »
You can see the branch line here:  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.08626&lon=-3.03989&layers=6&right=ESRIWorld

Thanks very much for the link - this site will give me many a happy hour exploring old maps.

Interesting that Yord is marked and that the Ffrwd Inn and what's presumably the said ironworks are near, reached by a rail branch from much further south than I thought. So what was then known as Ffrwd and in Denbighshire now seems to be called Yord, and the Ffrwd name is reserved for the area around the Red Lion, now "The Ffrwd" and mostly in Flintshire.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 August 22 12:29 BST (UK) »
The most recent mention I can find of the Black Horse is in 1899 when the landlord was a William Crawford. In the 1901 census he's a publican at 38 Hill Street, Pentre Broughton.

The landlord in the mid- 1860's was John Parry. He is one of the publicans on the inquest jury.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 August 22 17:10 BST (UK) »

Or were publicans over-represented among property owners in the region (I’m assuming jurors in those days had to be property owners)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juries_in_England_and_Wales#History

https://www.academia.edu/38812981/Restricting_the_Juror_Franchise_in_England_and Wales
1919 Sex Discrimination Act 1919 (Removal) ended the ban on women serving on trial juries.
"... jury service is a duty of citizenship, a duty flowing from the extended voting rights secured by the representation of the People Act 1918 ..."

The inquest happened between the First (1832) and Second (1867) Reform Acts. The franchise was still restricted to a minority of men and there was a property qualification. Names of voters were in poll books, similar to electoral registers. Information in poll books varied. Some showed occupations, some residences, some qualification for franchise.
https://electoralregisters.org.uk     

Cowban

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 August 22 14:30 BST (UK) »
There was not only a railway, but a fragment of a canal was dug in that neighbourhood when the Ellesmere Canal still intended to reach Chester via the Wrexham area, around 1800.  I don't think it ever carried more than a few boats, and they couldn't have travelled far !
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young