Author Topic: "PM could not be sent to 'userxyz' as their inbox is full!"  (Read 11591 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
"PM could not be sent to 'userxyz' as their inbox is full!"
« on: Saturday 13 August 22 12:58 BST (UK) »
A couple of days ago I chanced upon a nearly two year old post by a second cousin once removed trying to make contact - reply 13 of PS73s Corbet /Sweeney /Martin cousins topic. I usually check any RootsChat email notifications promptly so I'm not sure how I missed that one.

Checking the user's information it appears that they joined RootsChat specifically to make that post, and that after a month they gave up.

I immediately sent a personal message, hoping that they'll see an email notification for that. I also posted a reply to the topic, hoping that they'll see an email notification for that too.

I then recalled that a new user needs to make at least three posts to send/reply to a personal message, so I sent (or rather tried to send) a second pm to mention this - which is when I got the "PM could not be sent to 'userxyz' as their inbox is full!" warning.

That seems rather odd to me - I've been a reasonably active member here for around 13 years and even my inbox isn't full.
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "PM could not be sent to 'userxyz' as their inbox is full!"
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 August 22 13:02 BST (UK) »
New members need to make at least 2 posts to use PM system which is why you got that error message.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 August 22 13:41 BST (UK) »
But I didn't get that warning when I sent the first message. And that message is sitting smugly in my Sent Items folder.

Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 August 22 14:25 BST (UK) »
Sometimes, not always, you can send a user with not enough posts ONE, and only one, message but not sure if they can always view it.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 August 22 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that ties up with a search for "PM could not be sent to" (including the quotes) that I just did. I found this from Tati way back in 2009:

Quoting Geoff-E from another thread after we'd tried it out :)

You can send someone a PM before they have ever posted. 

You cannot send them a second PM - nor can they make any reply - until they have made two postings.

Making three postings has no particular significance to the PM system.

So they should get the first personal message, and my second pm behaved as expected and wasn't sent. So hopefully they'll also see the post I made on the topic where I mentioned that they might need to make a couple more posts to reply.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 August 22 15:30 BST (UK) »
A couple of days ago I chanced upon a nearly two year old post by a second cousin once removed trying to make contact - reply 13 of PS73s Corbet /Sweeney /Martin cousins topic. I usually check any RootsChat email notifications promptly so I'm not sure how I missed that one.

Checking the user's information it appears that they joined RootsChat specifically to make that post, and that after a month they gave up.

The person who began that topic hasn't been on RootsChat for 2 years either.
Cowban

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 August 22 06:40 BST (UK) »

The person who began that topic hasn't been on RootsChat for 2 years either.

That's my main concern. But as long as (a) they're still around, and (b) they haven't changed their email address, and (c) they have email notifications set for the topic then they should have received an automated email from RootsChat. Which means that provided (d) the mail's not treated as spam/junk, and (e) they read the email, and (f) they haven't lost interest, then we should get a response. We shall see.

I could really kick myself for missing their post. I don't know how that happened, as it's exactly what we'd been hoping and waiting for !

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 August 22 16:17 BST (UK) »
I could really kick myself for missing their post. I don't know how that happened, as it's exactly what we'd been hoping and waiting for !

Your notifications are set up to only to notify you once of a reply on a topic, if you do not re-visit the topic you may not be notified again of a new reply.

New members with less than 2 posts do not have access to the PM function.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 August 22 16:44 BST (UK) »
A lot of us don’t bother with email notifications at all.

All you need to do is to click on ‘New Replies’ top left of the ‘Forum’ page, and this will show any unread replies on threads to which you’ve contributed.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk