Author Topic: I can not find these people.  (Read 1672 times)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: I can not find these people.
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 21 August 22 21:46 BST (UK) »
Janet Burnie Death
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 21 August 22 23:29 BST (UK) »
Just a quick review by posting those census records again.

1851 census Mitchell Street Beith
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/590279c6e9379091b11826b2/robert-love-1851-ayrshire-ayr-1842-?locale=en

1861 census Mitchell Street Beith
John LOVE 58 head born Beith, cotton weaver
Margaret LOVE 56 wife born Dalry, silk sewer
Robert LOVE 18 son born Beith, cotton weaver
Andrew LOVE 15 son born Beith, cotton weaver
John LOVE 12 son born Beith, print tarer
William LOVE 9 son born Beith

From your original post, we are still missing information on the sons Andrew and Robert. Neither are found in Scotland after 1861.

Andrew is the only son NOT named on the Beith memorial inscription mentioned in the opening post, so I wonder if he emigrated. I think you might need to look abroad for him.

According to the memorial inscription, Robert was aged 26 when he died. But nothing has been found for him around 1868-70. I have to wonder if there is an error in the transcription of that memorial, and Robert’s age at death has been mis-recorded, or there is some other error. It is quite a coincidence that two sons died at exactly the same age. Has the original memorial been sighted?

There is a Robert LOVE born abt 1842 Beith Scotland who appears in the English census from 1881 to 1911 living in St Albans Hertfordshire, occupation draper. His wife is Janet Rodger BARBOUR and they married in 1871 West Derby. He has quite a few children with names that follow the family names for the LOVE family – including daughters Agnes Kerr LOVE born 1875, Margaret Kerr LOVE born 1876. I suspect this is your Robert.
If so, then Robert married his cousin. Janet was the daughter of Agnes KERR, sister to Margaret KERR.
Agnes married Peter BARBOUR and the family moved to England between the 1861 and 1871 census.

1901 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS4D-XM8
1911 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7LQ-3P5
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 22 August 22 03:13 BST (UK) »
OK, I think I have found Andrew LOVE. He appears in the English census (Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire) in 1871 as a “travelling draper”.
In 1873 Andrew married Helen ALEXANDER in Berkhampstead
His first child, a daughter is named Margaret Kerr LOVE born 1874  in BERKHAMPSTEAD.
Wife Helen died in 1882.
Andrew married his second wife Mary Lindsay FINDLAY in 1884, and they had a son named Andrew Kerr LOVE born in Luton in 1887,  and a son John born 1893 Luton.
1901 censushttps://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS46-H8Y

After the 1901 census I cannot see the family in England anymore. I think there is a possible Andrew LOVE in the 1911 Scottish census. Anyway, the 2 sons went to Canada, and I think their parents eventually followed them to Manitoba, Canada. (I can see shipping records for family members going back and forth between the UK and Canada.) Both sons, John LOVE & Andrew Ker LOVE signed up for Canadian forces in WW1.
In 1921 census Andrew LOVE aged 75 is in an Old Folks Home in Selkirk Manitoba. I think that’s his death on 6 Aug 1935 at West St Paul, & the record gives his birth as 12 March 1846.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 22 August 22 23:22 BST (UK) »
Just adding a bit more information on the family of Andrew LOVE from reply #38.

Daughter, Margaret Kerr LOVE married in 1903 Fulham to Leonard LOVEGROVE. She died in Winchester in 1956. (I thought it was delightful that she stuck with the ‘love’ theme for her married name.)  :D

Son, Andrew Ker LOVE returned to England to marry Blanche Evelyn BAKER in 1916 Kent. They were living in Folkstone in 1939. Andrew emigrated to New Zealand with his wife Blanche in 1955. They were following their son Donald who had emigrated to NZ in 1949. Andrew died in Tauranga NZ on 24 April 1966, and it seems his wife returned to England after that.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 05:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Neale1961 for the added information which I will back up with Certificates if I can.
This is my late mother-in-law's family.
Mary Love was born in 1907 in you guessed it, Beith. Andrew would have been her 1st Cousin 2x removed. Mary came to New Zealand as a War Bride in 1945. I wonder if she knew she had family here.?
As I live in Tauranga I will see if I can find Andrews's Grave and a death notice.
Looks like there could be relatives in New Zealand.

Many thanks for all your help.
Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 05:50 BST (UK) »
Yes Carol, I realised there was a New Zealand connection, which is why I added the extra information for you.
I bet the cousins / Love families knew each other.
I think Andrew Ker Love's will be a crematorium death - maybe Rotorua? - if that is in the right area.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 06:59 BST (UK) »
He is not in Tauranga so Rotorua could be the place.
My father-in-law had a ballot farm after the war just outside of Rotorua. They lived in Rotorua in the 1960s when the farm was sold.
Rotorua was not a big place so they must have known each other.
A small word indeed.
I have a daughter living just outside the town I grew up in and my son was in town. My granddaughter went to the same school as I did.
Growing up my children never even went to the town I grew up in. Work took them there. 40 years after I left, my daughter rang to tell me her new address which was 2 doors down from my childhood home.

and many more.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 27 August 22 03:41 BST (UK) »
Great work Neale!

I have a daughter living just outside the town I grew up in
My granddaughter went to the same school as I did.
Growing up my children never even went to the town I grew up in. Work took them there. 40 years after I left, my daughter rang to tell me her new address which was 2 doors down from my childhood home.
What a coincidence, makes you wonder if there was influence from afar when she chose her house, a 'homing' instinct  :-\

I love those type of stories.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 27 August 22 21:54 BST (UK) »
To Finish off this topic I still need to find births for children;
Elizabeth
Janet 1830
Robert abt 1842
Andrew 12 March 1846
John abt 1849
William abt 1852
Parents are John Love b 1802 (have the Birth). Married Margaret Kerr in 1829. (have marriage)
Margaret Kerr b 1809 Dalry.

and many more.