Author Topic: Geen Family Mortehoe Devon  (Read 1532 times)

Offline gwyneth70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Geen Family Mortehoe Devon
« on: Tuesday 16 August 22 21:11 BST (UK) »
I.m researching my Geen family in Devon (Please note GEEN not Green). I have reached John Geen Born 1742 Died 1815 Mortehoe Devon  Married Mary Brook . John Geen's baptisim names his father as Richard but there is no record of his mother's name  so I'm stuck. Does anyone here have this family on their tree. perhaps some siblings of John Geen from which i could try tracing the parents .

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Geen Family Mortehoe Devon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 08:39 BST (UK) »
Daniel GEEN baptised 20 Jan 1739/40 s/o Richard
John GEEN baptised 29 Aug 1742, s/o Richard
Mary GEEN baptised 29 Mar 1747, d/o Richard and Ann
Grace GEEN baptised 31 May 1752, d/o Richard and Ann
Richard baptised 9 Sep 1759, s/o Richard and Ann

Richard GEEN of Mortehoe and Ann JENKIN were married Apr 24 - 1739 at Marwood, Devon

Richard was buried at Mortehoe 31 Aug 1768
Anne GEEN was buried 8 Jan 1778

Possible baptism for Richard at Parracombe, Devon on 4 Oct 1718, s/o Richard and Elizabeth
Possible baptism for Anne JENKIN at Marwood, 18 Jan 1715/16, d/o Dan, born 25 Dec 1715

Ian C

EDIT
Looks like Daniel JENKINS married Grace SPURWAY at Marwood on 2 Jan 1714/15
Richard GEEN married Elizabeth HARDING at Parracombe on 20 Oct 1711
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 12:16 BST (UK) »
FreeREG has a some Parracombe B/M/D records for the name Geen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 20:05 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Just to add to the possible JENKIN line, the witnesses to John GEEN and Mary BROOK's marriage were Robert BROOK and Daniel JENKENS. Robert BROOK was a witness to lots of marriages so I wonder if he was connected to the Church. It also shows that Mary BROOK was a widow.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline gwyneth70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your input . I will now have some names to try tracing, probably during the dark cold winter evenings. I always thought I was Welsh through and through. How wrong was I ?

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 November 22 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello there
I just got on this site to post a question about GEEN in Cornwall and found your post how lucky was that?
I am researching GEEN from Parracombe, the next parish to Martinhoe. I can get back to RICHARD GEEN [1683-1758]
Richard has six or so children baptised as GEEN then for some reason the seventh child, Philip is baptised as PHILIP GEEN alias NICHOLS.
Then just yesterday I found them in Gerrans on the south cornish coast where there are several GEEN alias NICOL. I haven't tried to sort them out yet.  I hope this helps, please let me know and as to being Welsh - these Geens married into my PALMER tree, one of whom, JOHN RICHARD PALMER went to Swansea.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 November 22 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your input . I will now have some names to try tracing, probably during the dark cold winter evenings. I always thought I was Welsh through and through. How wrong was I ?

I grew up believing the Leakey's findings that humans began in East Africa - the Great Rift Valley. That belief was shattered when I began family research. It soon became evident that it was Devon!

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 November 22 21:23 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

References to NICHOLL alias GEENE/GEEN seem to go back to at least 1615. You might have seen these already but just in case,

1615    https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5575585

1659    https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D779902

1713    https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/995e85e6-0861-43c0-9436-bdf0ffa3e05d

I think that the St. Gerrans baptisms are written as NICHOL alias GEEN, there are lots of images which can be found here,

https://www.familysearch.org/records/images/search-results?page=1&place=2964533

There is a Richard son of Richard NICOL als GEEN 23rd May 1683.

Unfortunately none of these seem to help find why they are Nichol alias GEENE etc.

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 November 22 07:43 GMT (UK) »

thank you so much Daisy

I hadn't seen all of this so I'll get onto it.
It's my birthday today, so when family and friends asked what did I want to do, I said I shall put the heating on, find a box of chocolates and spend the day on my history. A perfect day.
They are insisting I go out to lunch and some are visiting. I shall spend all day with this in the back of my mind, lovely to see them, but - why don't people  understand? They all think I'm nuts.