Author Topic: Music Hall Artistes - burial plot  (Read 361 times)

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Music Hall Artistes - burial plot
« on: Tuesday 16 August 22 23:39 BST (UK) »
Way back in 2012 cilia posted her last (of 23) messages relating to Alexander ancestors in the business.

At that time no mention was made in response to a once fine memorial in the South London Cemetery (Lambeth, London SW) which contains the inscribed names of very many,, now sadly long forgotten entertainers from the past. I occasioned to have visited the site recently and recorded all the readable names, hoping soon to complete a list. It has not been cleaned for years, by the way. At the time what I didn't realise in readiness to leave I had missed several unreadable/dirty slabs stacked up behind which contained a further multitude of names! I have no idea (yet) who may take responsibility for cleaning & maintenance - you cannot do such independently, or without paying someone else who is competent! So I cannot take the task on myself.

What I was pleased about though was finding, immediately adjacent to the huge plot, was my all-time favourite film star & comedian, Will Hay [William Thomson Hay]. His headstone & grave is well tended I might add.

If there are enquiries I will check my photographs for a given surname.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Music Hall Artistes - burial plot
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 22 15:50 BST (UK) »
This site has photographs and lists of names of the artistes' memorials at South London (aka Streatham Park/Vale) and Twickenham Cemeteries. Scroll down or click on the link below the A B C D E... line.

If the cemetery has a friends' association, or there's a local history society, alerting them to the dirty slabs behind the memorial might get them cleaned up and moved to a more prominent position. Or a polite e-mail request to the cemetery authorities  expressing your interest might do the trick. I suspect the slabs were originally laid flat on graves and sunk 20cm down over time, as so often happens.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Music Hall Artistes - burial plot
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 22 19:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris, very helpful to receive some wider knowledge on the topic.