Author Topic: Death date for Calvin Devine  (Read 1097 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death date for Calvin Devine
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 August 22 23:48 BST (UK) »

He was born in Tasmania in 1911,

His military record states date of birth as 29 Sep 1911 yet his birth reg in the Tasmania archives states his birth as  29 Sep 1913

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 August 22 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Giblet, I too have both dates, a family member has assured me he was born in 1913, he had a sister and she was born August 191.

Cienna.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 August 22 02:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you maddys52, I have made a note of that, and thank you bbart, I did come across that entry on the spelling Cahrin was unsure if it was Calvin, I will keep trying to see if I can find a death.

Cienna.

As bbart has said, the misspelling is a transcription error.
That is to say, the person doing the typing up for the  index of the entry has hit the wrong key twice.
On the original record book which can be seen with Ancestry sub, the names is Calvin Phillip DEVINE.  It is your person.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 August 22 03:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Giblet, I too have both dates, a family member has assured me he was born in 1913, he had a sister and she was born August 191.

Cienna.

He appears to have a few siblings, Percy 1915, Lily 1911, Clement 1917 and Walter 1919.
Parents were Percy Devine and Louisa Newman.
Maybe some of their family notices might make a mention of Calvin.

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 August 22 04:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Giblet, I do have all Calvin's siblings, I have asked family members if they know when he died or where he is interred, no one seems to know......I will keep trying.

Thank you also Sue, he is the Calvin I am, working on.

Cienna

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 August 22 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Cienna - I have had a look at the divorce documents. The 1956 one mostly involved a dispute over the amount of maintenance he should be paying, and ended with both parties agreeing to dismiss the case. It did mention the transfer of £500 from a bank in Victoria to his Tasmanian bank.

The 1958 divorce was a petition for divorce on grounds of desertion that ended in decree nisi. The key points from this document are that:

He had left her on previous occasions, and she would later find out that he was working in Victoria under assumed names; she believed that his address at one time was at his sister's in Balaclava; she believed that he had worked for the State Electricity Commission in Yallourn.

A process-server investigation returned the following report:
"Service herein was attempted upon the above defendant at 40 William Street, Balaclava by my officer Mr E... who reported that there is no person by the above name at that address. A Mrs Cates has been residing at this address for 4 years. There is no William Street, Fitzroy in Victoria. Service was then attempted at Yallourn where my officer reported that there is no person by the name of Calven Phillip Devine or Ted Devine working for the S.E.C. However a person by that name was employed there but was transferred to somewhere in Melbourne, the address unknown on 5th November, 1948. Document returned herewith"

Other siblings were contacted, but replies were that they did not know of his whereabouts, or there was no reply at all.

From my own research I have noted that Horace Wilmot Devine ran businesses in Yallourn and was born in Collinsvale, Tasmania, so perhaps a cousin?

Also in Yallourn was barman Edward James Devine, who married Gladys Bills in 1942. His details, including signature, do not match those of Calven well, but I also have not been able to confirm his details to rule him out.

From his marriage cert. 7 November 1942, St Nicholas' CoE, Lakes Entrance
Edward James Devine, barman, batchelor, Yallourn
Born Glasgow, 37yo (c1905)
Father Patrick Devine (electrician)
Mother Matilder Collins
to
Gladys Cornelia Bills, spinster, home duties, Yallourn
Born Paynesville, Victoria, 36yo
Father William Bass?? Bills (deceased)
Mother Ethel May Leggett

I have attached a notice from The Age 10 October 1958 found on Google Newspapers

cheers
M

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 August 22 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Matthew,

Wow, thank you so much for all the valuable info, Calvin's family were at a loose end as to where he may have ended up, after leaving his wife and 5 children they lost all contact with him.

I am trying to help his elderly son with the family tree but he is more interested as to what may have happened to his father, they hadn't seen or heard from him since the 50's, I can now shed some light on his where-a bouts thanks to you.

I will now try and concentrate on a death date burial for him...

Thank you again...greatly appreciated..

Cienna