Author Topic: Trying to find a grave location  (Read 708 times)

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a grave location
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 August 22 23:35 BST (UK) »
#jonw65 I would like to see the notice in the West Sussex Gazette if at all possible. Thank you

#Little Nell Someone within the Church office for Buncton kindly returned a call from me. She has access to the records and was going to do her best to see what she could find. She did say to me a lot of the things that you have about records not being kept properly or destroyed. Thank you for your help and wishes, much appreciated.

#John915 Thank you, it is very possible that he is buried in the same churchyard but in a different place. Any assistance is much appreciated, thank you very much.
Griffiths and Mercer from Prescot, Lancashire. Maple from Wiston, West Sussex and Keeley from London.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 August 22 18:21 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I visited today and got some photos but they wont download to my PC at the moment. There are several Maple graves at All Saints all in a small area. 4 have stones but looking at the area around them there are more graves some of which could be Maples. I have a meeting tonight but will get on this when I return.

In the meantime here is an ariel shot, blue marks the area where the graves are, red the two cleaned graves and green the others.

John915

PS not sure why but bit wont let me post attachments.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 August 22 18:30 BST (UK) »
John915,

You're on a lookup forum, which don't permit attachments. Maybe Kessy can get the thread moved to the general Sussex forum.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 August 22 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you John so much, if I get it moved will you/I be able to find it ok.
Here is my email address to send them if that is ok. Thank you so much for taking the time to look for me.

Moderator comment

Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses to prevent others spamming or abusing it.  Thank you

Griffiths and Mercer from Prescot, Lancashire. Maple from Wiston, West Sussex and Keeley from London.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 August 22 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm afraid I can't attach the newspaper article, as this is a look up board :-\
It's a slightly strange one.
WISTON.
CAUTION.—On Saturday, 26th ult., Moses Maple, aged 37, sawyer, having been employed at a new parsonage house which is building at Ashington, went to Mr. Rowland's, of the Swan Inn, and drank a glass of ale, being at the time very warm; he shortly after complained of feeling very ill, when the landlord drove him home to Wiston-gate, being Maple's residence, at which place he died 36 hours afterwards. He was attended by Mr. Young, of Steyning, whose certificate states that he died of peritonitis. He has left a widow and six children, the eldest of whom has not yet attained 15 years.

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 August 22 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, that is incredibly interesting although very sad. I learned today that he may well be buried at St Mary, Wiston. He was the Turnpike Keeper and residents and employees up until 1872 were permitted to be buried at St Mary. After this time the cemetery was closed and is open for members of the Goring family only, who own this estate. My contact has sought permission and is going to see what she can find at this cemetery. Sadly records for All Saints, Buncton appear to be non existent, not even a cemetery plan. A shame but we cannot change what is already done.