Author Topic: Irish DNA - No Ethnicity Region  (Read 564 times)

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish DNA - No Ethnicity Region
« on: Thursday 18 August 22 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I took an Ancestry DNA test several years ago and every time there has been an update I have consistently had a good one fifth of my DNA come up as Irish, however even with the recent update I still have no ethnicity region breakdown.

Everyone else I know who has Irish in their results has an ethnicity region shown and it is spot on with what they know of where their family came from, I have even had a higher percent of Irish DNA in my results than someone who has got their ethnicity region provided.

Another update has been and gone and still only says 'Ireland' and the percentage..  :(

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Irish DNA - No Ethnicity Region
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 22 15:48 BST (UK) »
My ethnicity estimate for Ireland is 38%; I also do not have a region breakdown (nor does my brother’s estimate). 

One of my husband’s ancestors left Ireland decades after mine left and he does have a region breakdown (for that particular ancestor - not for the others, however). I was going to suggest that perhaps it has something to do with when our ancestors left Ireland but my mum’s current Ireland estimate is 42% and she does have a region breakdown.  So, my suggestion most likely is not correct.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 22 16:30 BST (UK) »

Ah that's interesting hear and not just me then, its a shame I would be really interested to know the ethnicity region for my Irish roots, I have no-one on my tree I can tie there.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 22 17:53 BST (UK) »
My ethnicity estimate for Ireland is 38%; I also do not have a region breakdown (nor does my brother’s estimate). 

One of my husband’s ancestors left Ireland decades after mine left and he does have a region breakdown (for that particular ancestor - not for the others, however). I was going to suggest that perhaps it has something to do with when our ancestors left Ireland but my mum’s current Ireland estimate is 42% and she does have a region breakdown.  So, my suggestion most likely is not correct.

Can I be nosey?

I notice you have the surname "Vaus" in your list of surnames.  Did you know that this is a "gateway" surname = "Vaux" ??  A Normandy baronial family of De Vaux, or De Vallibus that arrived in Britain in the 1100s and was given land by the then current king.  Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the book that gives full details.   
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 22 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena, thank you for asking about Vaus.  It’s a long story, but the short version of the family tale is my French ancestor’s name was Guillaume Vaux deMon(t)fort. While the name William (Guillaume) was handed down several generations in the Vaus line, a Vaus actually married a Mumford — there never was a Vaux deMon(t)fort.  ::). I have yet to find the family in France.

My brickwall Vaus ancestor was a church warden and his surname spelling and a couple of his sons were recorded as Vaus, Vaux and Vous. There was another family tale about our Vaux ancestor arriving in England.  Oddly enough, about 20 years ago I met a distant Vaus relative who was told the same story — our families had not communicated with each other for at least 120 years (nor lived in the same country for 130 years) so hearing him mention the tale about Vaux arriving in England was really strange.

I haven’t thought about my Vaus line lately.  I will research the Normandy Vaux’s — the topic sounds very interesting. Thank you for mentioning it.

PS I see you have Munford ancestors.  If they lived in Essex, England at any time I would be very interested in communicating by pm (so I don’t hijack this thread).  Thank you again, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 August 22 00:59 BST (UK) »
I haven't taken my Munford further back than Benjamin Munford in the 1800s, who had taverns in Caister, Yarmouth - both places are in Norfolk County, England.

I hope that line doesn't go back to the cruel Simon De Montford.

Good luck with trying to couple up the two surnames Munford/Mountford and Vaus/Vaux.  If a new wife was a widow, then online documents might not pick up on the fact of the original maiden name.

Possibly the inclusion of the middle (sur)name was because a father named a child in favour of a friend who may or may not have died in battle or didn't marry and the story has been confused over the passage of time.

When England was conquered in 1066 by William he had a list made of all the people of note and all the land he owned in England.  the Monfords didn't come  over until 100 years afterwards but you may find the Domesday book dated 1068 of assistance.

http://www.domesdaybook.co.uk/landowners.html
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 August 22 01:18 BST (UK) »
..... however even with the recent update I still have no ethnicity region breakdown.

For a region to show you would need to have other related people research their family, submit their DNA and know the region that they came from.  There are likely a lot of people who know their ancestors were Irish but have not been able to establish exactly where they came from.

Debra  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 August 22 01:47 BST (UK) »
Rena, I will keep an eye out for your Munfords.
I read about deMontfort decades ago; I forgot all about him (thankfully).  ;)
You’re correct, there was confusion somewhere as I was originally told Guillaume was born mid-1800s.  We’ve tracked the Mumfords back to mid-1700s and Vaus’ back to early 1700s and no sign of Guillaume.  ;)
Thank you for all of the information you gave me - it has renewed my interest in the families.
All the best with your research!  Thank you, Lisa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 August 22 01:49 BST (UK) »
..... however even with the recent update I still have no ethnicity region breakdown.

For a region to show you would need to have other related people research their family, submit their DNA and know the region that they came from.  There are likely a lot of people who know their ancestors were Irish but have not been able to establish exactly where they came from.

Debra  :)

Debra, thank you very much for the explanation; I had no idea how it worked!