Author Topic: Matthew Gibson & Mary McLean  (Read 904 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Gibson & Mary McLean
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 August 22 08:27 BST (UK) »
Ellen abt 1852 was baptised in the free something (can't read new word) church by Alexander Pollock.   
Alexander Pollock was the minister of the Free South Church in Paisley 1846-1870.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 August 22 09:41 BST (UK) »

Ellen abt 1852 was baptised in the free something (can't read new word) church by Alexander Pollock.   
Alexander Pollock was the minister of the Free South Church in Paisley 1846-1870.

Great, thanks Forfarian. Am I right in thinking that is a Church of Scotland church, and if so might make it a bit less likely Helen’s family were linked to non-conformist churches?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 August 22 13:16 BST (UK) »

Great, thanks Forfarian. Am I right in thinking that is a Church of Scotland church, and if so might make it a bit less likely Helen’s family were linked to non-conformist churches?
Oh, dear, this is going to be complicated.

No, a Free Church is, by definition, not part of the Church of Scotland.

Also, the term non-conformist means a church/clergyman which/who does not conform to the Church of England. The Church of Scotland was one such denomination, and so was the Free Church of Scotland. The term is totally meaningless in relation to any church in Scotland, apart from the Episcopal Church, because all denominations in Scotland would have been non-conformist.

The Free Church of Scotland broke away from the Church of Scotland at the Great Disruption on 1843.

So you need to look in the 'Other Churches' section on Scotland's People for any records relating to Helen/Ellen.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 August 22 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thank Forfarian. Makes sense, had confused myself by googling and thinking the result I found meant Church of Scotland!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 August 22 02:37 BST (UK) »
(Abbey parish):
Sproul & Gibson
9 June 1851
Daniel Sprowl and Helen Gibson both residing in this parish.
Married 10 June 1851 by the Rev. Alex Pollock.

Daniel's brother, Andrew was another witness in this document and also states that they were married in Matthew Gibson's house.

I am aware of some DNA connections that look to be to a couple of James Sproul's siblings but have not been able to unpick parents yet as there was another James Sproul born at the same time who married Mary Young. Family trees on ancestry  have been connected to this couple, but based on what I've found in poor law records and on death certificates I'm pretty certain the the connection is to James Sproul and Jean Jack. 

any further thoughts very welcome!
I'd tread with caution when viewing others' trees (from experience) as well as what I've read on RC!

It may be worth you going back a generation or 2 on your matches' trees & following back (by your own research) to be sure of the lines of parentage.
Of course, the trees may be well researched & the 2 James' may be cousins?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"