Author Topic: Highland Road Cemetery in Portsmouth/General Inquiry  (Read 231 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Highland Road Cemetery in Portsmouth/General Inquiry
« on: Friday 19 August 22 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

We found our ancestors were buried at Highland Road Cemetery in Portsmouth. However, we dug deeper (no pun intended) and were told the graves were "rented" for 25 years at a time and what was once the husband's grave, has now been relet. The wife is still there. Wow! I'm in the U.S. and this is completely new to me. Any ideas what happens to someone who is "relocated" from a cemetery? I'm assuming the family couldn't cover the bill anymore but left the wife in place. Just wondering what thoughts you might have on this topic as it was a real mind blower for us over here.

Thank you!
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Highland Road Cemetery in Portsmouth/General Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 August 22 07:25 BST (UK) »
Perhaps if you give us the names of the couple and the dates they died we can help more with your request.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Highland Road Cemetery in Portsmouth/General Inquiry
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 August 22 09:34 BST (UK) »
I asked Mr Google, and saw a number of answers related to what happens after the lapse of the initial period of rental/purchase.  It seems that the original internee will NOT be removed, but other bodies may be buried on top.  If there had been an initial headstone, then that would be removed.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY