Author Topic: Lookup Request for Thomas Wontner Papers at State Library of Queensland  (Read 579 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request for Thomas Wontner Papers at State Library of Queensland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 August 22 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hoping that the archive will shed some light on Thomas Wontner and his family.
Information from the library online catalogue answers your question.

Title
31445 Thomas Wontner Correspondence and Photographs 1857-1868
Author/Creator
Thomas Wontner 1827-1894
Subjects
Wontner family -- Photographs
Wontner family -- Correspondence
Wontner, Thomas, 1827-1894 -- Correspondence
Newspaper editors -- Queensland
Journalists -- Queensland
clippings (information artifacts)
personal correspondence
black-and-white photographs
Abstract
Original letters, transcriptions, photographs, and biographical information. The letters were written by Thomas Wontner in Brisbane during the 1860s to his family in England.
Scope and content
The collection comprises letters written by Thomas Wontner, a printer, to his family in England. At this period Brisbane was in the midst of a severe depression and Wontner discusses the hardships faced by the populace and his fears for his own employment security and ability to meet repayments for the family home. There are also photographs of Thomas Wontner, Ellen Wonter, and Ada Wontner, as well as a cutting book of biographical information
Access restrictions
Unrestricted access
Copyright status
In copyright.
Conditions of use
You are free to use for personal research and study. For other uses see https://www.slq.qld.gov.au/understanding-copyright.
Creation date
1857-1868
Administrative / Biographical history
Thomas Wontner was born in London in 1827 being the only son of Richard Wontner, a draper, and Jane Martha, nee Hale. He served an apprenticeship as a printer, migrating to Australia at the age of 26 on the ship “Francis Ridley” which arrived in Victoria in July 1853. He married Ellen Amsden, originally from London, England, on 15 June 1857 in Sydney. Ellen already had a 7 year old son, Theodore. The couple had one child, Ada Emma Jane, who was born in 1863 in Brisbane and died in 1920. The family moved to Brisbane in the early 1860s where Thomas worked for various newspapers initially as a compositor and later in the position of chief reader which was one of the most important jobs in the printing office with subeditorial duties. He was also a frequent contributor to Queensland “Punch”. The family lived at “Cowper Cottage” in Herbert Street, Spring Hill, and were members of the Congregational Church. Thomas died of pneumonia in Brisbane on 11 August 1894, aged 68.
Description
Extent: 0.5 linear metres
Language
English
Preferred citation
31445 , Thomas Wontner Correspondence and Photographs, John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland.
Identifier
Reference code: 31445
Record number

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline ewontner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 07:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everyone's responses - much appreciated. As I said in my original post and the reason why I posted - I would like to SEE copies of the actual contents of the papers at the library ie the photos of Thomas, Ellen and Ada and the other biographical information.

I have already traced the family backwards and then downwards and I was already aware of the other articles on Trove detailing Thomas job at Brisbane Courier. But good to have confirmation from others in case I have missed anything.

Sadly Thomas has no living relatives as his daughter Ada died in 1920.

The executor his will, Theodore Campbell Amsden, who was his stepson, died in 1931. Theodore seems to have had two daughters who died in infancy and a third daughter also called Ada Grainger Amsden who survived to be an adult but died without children in 1970.

Someone questioned who his parents were - and they were definitely Richard and Jane Martha Wontner - and why look for this information when I should look elsewhere. That's just because I am keen to explore all available sources in case it tells me something new. And also I would like to know more about the social context.

As a separate fact, I have traced Thomas's sisters lives and thanks to my efforts I found a picture of them in the archives in Olney, England although sadly I can't identify which sister is which from the photo. To see a photo of Thomas and his family would be fantastic.

And really disappointed that someone is being sarcastic and tracking when I have logged on and commented about me not replying 😥 That's not  very friendly. I have a busy life apart from family history.

And separately I am still keen to determine the precise  ancestry of Richard Wontner and how he and Thomas connect with my direct family line. I've seen a Pallot baptism index record for Richard Wontner and so know his father was also Thomas Wontner (and mother Margaret).

I am curious if there is any mention of Leominster or Herefordshire in Thomas's biographical papers. Even a brief mention would confirm a connection to my family line.

I love family history and all the connections you can make. Thanks again and hope to one day see the pictures and correspondence.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschat members in Brisbane

I have a big ask! Does anyone in this group live near the State Library of Queensland in Brisbane? I live on the other side of the world so unfortunately can't get access to the library. I would be really grateful if someone could spare the time to access the Thomas Wontner Correspondence and Photos that are held at the library to see what information is available.

I am trying to establish whether Thomas Wontner (who was the son of Richard and Jane Martha Wontner) are related to my direct family line

It would be totally amazing to see copies of the photos and letters.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/235427258?keyword=Wontner

Hoping that the archive will shed some light on Thomas Wontner and his family.
Thank you in advance

Ed

And really disappointed that someone is being sarcastic and tracking when I have logged on and commented about me not replying 😥 That's not  very friendly. I have a busy life apart from family history.

It is evident now that you have an extensive knowledge of this Thomas WONTNER.

My efforts and that of others here endeavoured to  'Shed more light' as the the Archive material was difficult for you to access.

No sarcasm was intended in my remark about your lack of response.
Response is expected and looked for as that is the nature of a forum.

Despite, enjoying a busy life with wider interests than doing family history research for others, I frequently check back to previous posts I have made in order to see if further help is requested or whether the information offered has been of use.

I can't see why you would feel "disappointed" or that it was unfriendly.

Ah well, ewontner was online just an hour or two ago but has offered no comment on the information offered.

Hope it was useful ;D

Sue

It is a simple matter to check when users were last online and any forum member can do that as well as viewing a user's previous posts and ongoing responses to them.

Best wishes in your WONTNER searches.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk