Author Topic: Death of Colonel HENRY WHITE 1844 on voyage Australia to England  (Read 681 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Colonel HENRY WHITE 1844 on voyage Australia to England
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 08:07 BST (UK) »
I think we just about have it, thanks to you all. I'll be back when I get stumped again!

Geoff

Offline Neill Knott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Colonel HENRY WHITE 1844 on voyage Australia to England
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 May 24 09:43 BST (UK) »
Geoff,  I have had some difficulty getting this reply to you.  I have been looking at the history of Broadford, Victoria for several years now and have looked at this topic several times. I am presently working on Mt Piper Run and this has brought me to this conversation, perhaps by accident.  You seem to have all of the details presented to you here.  You have actually helped to correct a mistake I had made, as I cannot fault the 1844 death, even though Edward R White was declared insolvent in 1843, before he left to become a surveyor, who surveyed the boundary of Victoria and South Australia. E R died at the Kilmore Survey Camp in April 1853.  I had assumed that Henry White had died between October 1839 and March, 1840, but now need to correct this error.  I have checked the Melbourne, reports of his death.  The Tasmanian newspaper had confused its accuracy.  You are correct.  Henry's military service lists a Co Cork, Ireland,  birth, two sons and a daughter. The other son was Benjamin, and somehow, he was in Victoria in 1853, when Edward died. Benjamin dealt with Edward's estate/probate. I have a possible death for Benjamin, but have no evidence to prove that it is him.  He may have returned to England??