Author Topic: James O'Reilly or Reilly  (Read 1520 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James O'Reilly or Reilly
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 25 August 22 18:46 BST (UK) »
Daisynook, will hopefully find more information from the friend.  :)

We found those but now Kilkenny seems to be ruled out.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 25 August 22 22:14 BST (UK) »
I said there was no Kilkenny connection since James Reilly died and the family moved to London.  That doesn't rule out all what happened before his death. The only person who stayed in Kilkenny was James's wife Ellen who died there in 1981.
James was my friend's grandfather, not father.
Thank you oldohiohome for all your work.  Just a couple of points are that I don't think James was born in 1914 now and when you said 'hit by a trolley', he wasn't hit by a trolley, he worked as an Inspector on the trolley that was involved in an accident.  I'm still trying to track down any newspaper that may have details. 
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 25 August 22 22:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that misunderstanding.

Did I give the impression I thought he was your friend’s father? I didn’t meant to.

I was thinking your friend would know the year of their parent’s birth and perhaps any aunts/uncles birth years so that would help with an approximate marriage year for James and Ellen.

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 August 22 23:21 BST (UK) »
James and Ellen's children's names were Thomas, Patrick, Maureen d.1946, Helen and James Riley Jnr d.1973.  Don't know any other dates.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 26 August 22 00:54 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't have any definite dates for this request.  I'm trying to help a friend find her grandfather James O'Reilly.  He was born in Galway and was married to Ellen Bergin/Berrigan with 6 children.  He decided to leave the family in Ireland and went to Boston, US around 1940-1950s.  He got himself a job on the trolley buses as an Inspector.  He was involved in a trolley bus accident where he was killed.  His wife in Ireland was paid a pension from the company until she died.
I have been looking for any newspaper clips or other informationa about the accident but have had no luck so far.  Could anybody have any better luck than me? Any help appreciated.

… Just a couple of points are that I don't think James was born in 1914 now and when you said 'hit by a trolley', he wasn't hit by a trolley, he worked as an Inspector on the trolley that was involved in an accident. I'm still trying to track down any newspaper that may have details. 

I’ve been following this topic, hoping that I could help. Am I correct in believing that your first post indicated that he was killed while at work and your your post above this one indicated that he wasn’t killed?  I apologize if I am confused; let’s blame it on a summer of lack of proper sleep (temps too hot this summer for a good night’s rest).  ;)

I, too, apologize for asking questions but others are trying their best to get answers for you and I would like to help as well.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 26 August 22 07:42 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry if I gave the impression that James wasn't killed in the accident - re-reading your quotes I still don't know how I gave that impression.  Still never mind, he was killed in the accident and that was why his wife got a pension from the trolley company for the rest of her life and she had a long life living to be 90.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 26 August 22 07:58 BST (UK) »
From the other thread after you found the death of Maureen.
Is this death still relevant?

Is this Maureen’s death?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1947/04587/4213830.pdf

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 26 August 22 08:23 BST (UK) »
Yes it is - thanks very much for that

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile