Author Topic: William Atkinson (?? 1784-1849) of Winchester  (Read 1541 times)

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Atkinson (?? 1784-1849) of Winchester
« on: Thursday 25 August 22 02:44 BST (UK) »
Mr William Atkinson married Miss Catherine Mans of Winchester, on 28 Jan 1819, at St Lawrence's parish church.  They are gggg parents of me.

The Mans family I know somewhat about, including Catherine's grandfather William (1738-?) of Alresford, her father James (1763-1839) who spent most of his life as porter of the Close; and Catherine herself ran a millinery business in Winchester until the late 1830s -- first with her sister Ann and then in her own name -- and later is a school mistress, e.g. in Lymington in 1841, with the three children William, Catherine Ann, and Moorsom.

But I can't find out anything at all about William Atkinson, other than: in the marriage allegation he is a “gentleman”, and he was possibly a naval man, because at Catherine's death (Glastonbury, 1864) she's “relict of Capt. Atkinson RN”. 

In 1851 Catherine is living in Wool, and she's a widow, with the two younger.  Since there's a death of a William Atkinson in Winchester 1849, I take that as my man, aged 65 on the bishops transcript: hence the tentative dates above.

But I really know nothing: cannot find a birth or parents, and cannot find any actual naval records. (Moorsom the youngest son was a sketchy character who invented a naval career for himself in the late 1850s for the purpose of fraud (and bigamy!).  Perhaps he learned this trick from his dad.)

Any help finding my William Atkinson, gratefully received.

Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Johnson (Wimborne, East Dorset)
Hopkins (Roxburgh., Yorks.)
Kidd (Westmoreland)
Lake (East Cambridgeshire)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Atkinson (?? 1784-1849) of Winchester
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 22 04:31 BST (UK) »
On the marriage allegation, William is aged 21, and from St. Lawrence Winchester. That puts his year of birth about 1797.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 22 06:57 BST (UK) »
Moorsom is such an unusual name. Have you looked at the possibility of it being a surname from the female side of the Atkinson family somewhere? William's mother maybe?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 August 22 11:02 BST (UK) »
So for the marriage, I take it that 21 means 21 or over (as it often does).

Moorsom is an unusual name. And my ggg parents re-used it in the next generation for their youngest son (who died in infancy).  I've tried in the past to find that "Capt" William Atkinson was associated with Admiral Sir Robert Moorsom (+1835), but without success. However Sir Robert's younger son William Scarth Moorsom (1804-1863) was a railway engineer, and William and Catherine Atkinson's elder son William Atkinson (1820-1894) was also a railway engineer: and they both worked on the Waterford and Kilkenny in the 1840s. So it seems certain that the given name Moorsom is in honour of that family, but not clear exactly why yet.
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Kidd (Westmoreland)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 August 22 11:04 BST (UK) »
In an article about the bigamy case Moorsom's father is named "Captain William Atkinson, R.N." - apparently from the marriage register.
Tuesday,  Dec. 20, 1859
Publication: The Standard

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 August 22 11:25 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, that was also part of Moorsom's story, and since the 1854 marriage was his actual and real marriage, it seems likely that his father really was a naval captain.  But then why can I not find a record of William’s career? I've searched...

Unfortunately “William Atkinson” is a very common name. I have details of 4 different William Atkinsons in the children's generation (1820s - 1900s) who were all engineers, including two different railway engineers!

I haven't looked for Moorsom antecedents, and that's a good point, I should. 
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Kidd (Westmoreland)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 August 22 22:38 BST (UK) »
So for the marriage, I take it that 21 means 21 or over (as it often does).

The term "full age" denotes 21 or older.
The ages on the marriage allegation are quite specific. Your William was aged 21 when he married. That is the same age as his wife.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 August 22 22:47 BST (UK) »
  Since there's a death of a William Atkinson in Winchester 1849, I take that as my man, aged 65 on the bishops transcript: hence the tentative dates above.
As you say the name is very common, so how can you assume that this is your man?
When you get the death certificate from the GRO (see below) you will probably find it is not correct. Until then you will not know.

DEATH CERTIFICATE
ATKINSON, WILLIAM       age 65 
GRO Reference: 1849  M Quarter in WINCHESTER & HURSLEY  Volume 07  Page 220

As a naval man, it is possible that he died at sea, or abroad. I would be looking in newspapers for any information about his death.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 August 22 00:16 BST (UK) »
I had a look in newspapers that I have access to last night but couldn't find a death notice for the William ATKINSON who died in 1849. There is this one however at Bristol, though the age is different to that on the marriage allegation.

"June 28, after a few days illness, Capt. William Atkinson"
Saturday,  July 15, 1837
Publication: Bristol Mercury

I assume this is his burial at Bedminster, St John, Bristol on 4 July 1837, aged 67, of Southville. (With a note "St Paul's New Church Yard")