Author Topic: William Atkinson (?? 1784-1849) of Winchester  (Read 1538 times)

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Atkinson (?? 1784-1849) of Winchester
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 August 22 16:09 BST (UK) »
I have been looking into George Pinckney Atkinson born 1824, Amesbury, Wiltshire, the son of Charles and Anna James. Charles was born in Salisbury, Wiltshire and lived in Woodsford, Dorset.
The prison record for Moorsom has the name George Pinckney Moorsom Atkinson (which you have already mentioned).
George Pinckney went to America around the same time as Moorsom married the second time. George died in America in Iowa in 1867. He was on the Kent Electoral Registers up to 1855-56.
Charles (Georges father) was also a gent and I believe his parents to be Thomas Atkinson and Charlotte Pinckney.
Does all this make sense? I'm sure Charles and William are not brothers but I'm sure there's some connection somewhere. I'll keep digging, its driving me nuts! Why would Moorsom use George's name if he'd never heard of him, too much of a coincidence!
Julie

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 August 22 16:52 BST (UK) »
So yes, that's in accord with my researches about the real George Pinckney Atkinson. Gosh if I was after choosing an alias I'd try for somewhat less unusual...

I am about 80%  ;) certain there is no particular connection between George and Moorsom.  George's father Charles was pretty well off farmer, if I recall correctly, and I found no connecting births.   But this requires more research, to be sure.

George became Ensign of the 89th Foot  :), by purchase, in 1845, but is a Retired Army Officer by 1851 :( and is living in Islington.  Something about that 5-year supported stint reminds me of Moorsom ... Perhaps they met, and colluded. It would make a decent plot, anyhow. More likely Moorsom just saw the name in the Gazette and decided to exploit the coincidence.
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Johnson (Wimborne, East Dorset)
Hopkins (Roxburgh., Yorks.)
Kidd (Westmoreland)
Lake (East Cambridgeshire)

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 August 22 06:08 BST (UK) »
I can't help thinking he knew George was going to America and that's when he started using his name.

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 August 22 06:37 BST (UK) »
The other thing that strikes me as a coincidence is Moorsom is in Wool, Dorset 1851, which is only 6 miles from Woodsford.

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 16:35 BST (UK) »
As you say the name is very common, so how can you assume that this is your man?
When you get the death certificate from the GRO (see below) you will probably find it is not correct. Until then you will not know.
Quite right. Indeed the certificate shows that William Atkinson +1849 died in the workhouse and was a “Servant” -- which pretty much eliminates him, as you foresaw.
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Kidd (Westmoreland)

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 31 March 23 00:24 BST (UK) »
Now (not before) I can see the baptisms of William and Catherine’s three children, in 1822 and 1825.  It only adds to the mystery, because all three times William’s “Quality, Trade, or Profeſſion” is ”Perfumer”, neither Toy Dealer nor Navy man nor Gentleman.
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Kidd (Westmoreland)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 31 March 23 01:57 BST (UK) »
Good to see that images are still being added. Transcripts are not satisfactory really.

I see that William (age 2) and Catherine (age 1)  are baptised together in 1822.
I wonder why the delay in their baptism?
I also wonder if ‘perfumer’ might have more to do with the mother’s work – from memory she had a dress/ millinery shop on the high street ?
It might be worth looking in the papers around the early 1820s to see if there is mention of Atkinson perfumer locally.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 31 March 23 03:46 BST (UK) »
Catherine continued with her millinery business in the High street through at least 1830.  William appears Pigott's directory as a Toy Dealer in 1828, at literally next door.

Also "W Atkinson, Perfumer", was one of three selected as constables for Winchester in 1826. [Hampshire Chronicle 5 Dec 1825, p 3].  (I'd seen that before but now I know it's him.)

Mercurial chap: gent, perfumer, toy dealer, navy captain, disappeared.  Still can't help feeling Moorsom took after his dad.
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Kidd (Westmoreland)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 31 March 23 06:31 BST (UK) »
Just some thoughts …….

Well the ‘navy captain’ could be hearsay. At least you have documentation for ‘perfumer’ and now ‘constable’. As a town constable I wonder if the Winchester archives would have records? That could be followed up.
I am sure you would have explored the newspapers more using ‘constable’ in your search.

William was a “gentleman” when married – and his family clearly wanted to hold on to that grand title, even though many years later, he was not. Money does eventually run out, and William and his wife clearly had to earn a living.
To be a gentleman in one’s youth suggests he inherited money – directly from a parent, or from a grandparent, or uncle or aunt.

I think the Pinckney - Atkinson family of Amesbury should be explored further (See reply #18). It would take some time, so it really is up to how deep you want to delve / your level of dedication.  :)
It would involve going a few generations back and working sideways through all the siblings.
There are some Wills for Pinckney and Atkinson family members at the National Archives – free downloads. With some reading, one might yield results. I would start with the ones from Amesbury.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)