Author Topic: Thomas Wilson / James Wilson relationship- Ballynary, Tartaraghan, Armagh  (Read 1131 times)

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wilson / James Wilson relationship- Ballynary, Tartaraghan, Armagh
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 November 23 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I actually was thinking for a time that George Wilson's death was in 1889 (Jan 10th).  I see a death record for George Wilson in 1884 listed as a weaver, which of course makes sense, but I dismissed this one because in 1889 (he is listed as a laborer) the reporting party is a James Greenaway.  That said, I'm not convinced I have it correct as the 1884 makes more sense and it makes more sense for my James Wilson being sent to live with my great grandfather Thomas in the US.  You said you had seen Milltown records, so with those confirming 1884, I stand corrected.  If you need any information on the Wilsons that came to the US, let me know, I'm happy to provide anything.  Thank you, Laura. 

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 November 23 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I went back over the records, and believe this child is also from your group with the wife's name having been mistranscribed:

7 December 1851 (Milltown)

Anne daughter to George and Hanna Wilson (Weaver), Ballynarry (born 7 September 1851)

I also double checked what I had sent and it may well be that George did die in 1889:

2 November 1884

Frances Wilson Ballynarry 54 years

12 January 1889

George Wilson Ballynarry 60 years

Sorry for the confusion.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information.  Just curious do you have anything suggesting where the Wilson's originally came from, or which Wilson was first in Northern Ireland?  I suspect that they were Scottish.  When I was in Armagh, my guide was adamant that Wilsons were Scottish origin and had likely come to Armagh during the Plantation years.  I believe George's father's name was also George (1800 to 1877) but that is all I've been able to dig up.  The local guide also indicated that as recently as 30 to 40 years ago, Greenaways lived on Ballynarry Road and had a slight "Scottish accent"; Greenaway of course being Frances' family.

Laura

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Laura, I don't believe that all of the Wilson families in Tartaraghan were related; ie, some may have been English and some may have been Scottish. My husband only has 2% Scottish DNA from his latest estimate (which is, at best, a guess).  One clue may be looking at their religion.  If they followed the Presbyterians, I would hazard a guess that they were more likely to have been Scottish.

The one DNA match that hubby does have is to a Courtney/Wilson line who would have married around 1790. Anna Wilson was said to have been born in Scotland, daughter of John Wilson, born 1713 in Methlick, Aberdeenshire (birth year should likely have been somewhat later than this as he died in 1812 in Aberdeenshire).  If you've done a DNA test on Ancestry, have a look and see if you have a match to a DKERSA who has provided this info.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 November 23 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you, great point.  My understanding is that when in the US, they were Methodist, at least my great grandfather who moved to Connecticut in the US. In Ireland I know that George and Frances were married at the Church of Milltown which I believe falls under the Church of Ireland.  Both would indicate then a potential origin in England, I would think.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help.  Good luck with your continued research!
Laura