Author Topic: Thomas Wilson / James Wilson relationship- Ballynary, Tartaraghan, Armagh  (Read 1138 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wilson / James Wilson relationship- Ballynary, Tartaraghan, Armagh
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 August 22 01:51 BST (UK) »
Fanny Wilson was the informant on James' birth in 1884 who was likely the grandmother.  George Wilson married Fanny Greenaway in 1850.  I'm missing the connection you are making which explains James, but he is likely the nephew of Thomas in CT as George Jr. is likely his brother.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 August 22 08:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the error in previous message (I've corrected that in red print). Yes, Fanny Wilson was the person who registered James' birth in July 1884. I haven't yet found a son George for George Wilson & Fanny Greenaway but there certainly isn't a marriage between a George Wilson & Eliza Greenaway in Ireland.

I think that when Fanny Wilson registered James' death, whether by design or by accident, she gave as the father's name that of her husband, George Wilson, and for the mother her daughter Eliza with her own maiden name. By the time of the registration Eliza was probably already quite ill and it would be left to his grandparents to look after the baby. It's possible, although impossible to prove, that Eliza also suffered from tuberculosis and pregnancy would have weakened her further.

Back at the start Laura mentioned that this James Wilson is listed as Thomas Wilson's son but not mentioned in wife's obituary. Another bit of the story was that James was sent to America when an orphan. Fanny Wilson died when James was 4 months old so perhaps one of Eliza's sisters looked after the baby. George Wilson died in 1889 and it seems James went to America sometime after that date. It's entirely possible that James was never told much about his mother and indeed his father.

When I looked through PRONI's birth registration index, which it doesn't look like Laura did, I found the daughters I mentioned in reply #7 but continued from 1871 for quite a few years in case Fanny had a much younger child. I was surprised to find a Wilson-Greenaway birth for a James Wilson in 1884 (Fanny was 57 at the time) 13 years after last child and thought that George & Fanny were the parents. It was only when I looked at the actual certificate, and Eliza's death certificate, that things started to fall into place.

It's possible a baptismal record for infant James Wilson will list Eliza as his mother with no father's name listed.

One thing I don't understand is how Laura missed seeing James' birth in the actual certificates on Irish Genealogy since she was looking for a James Wilson born 1884 in that area  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 August 22 09:04 BST (UK) »
From the other thread-
He may have had a sister named Mary who married Richard Mclelland and lived in New Jersey and also possibly a brother George.  He had a nephew, James Wilson that he raised as a son from age 8 on.  Family story is James was orphaned and emigrated to live with Thomas and his wife (Isabelle Gilpin) in CT.
Mary Wilson died 1873 of TB so Thomas Wilson's sister Mary died marry Richard McLelland and live in New Jersey. eileenwilson clears up the McClelland details in reply #5.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 August 22 14:27 BST (UK) »
Laura- when you log back in here and read through the thread I've lots more information on Wilson family if you are interested.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, as you can see, I haven't been around/logged-in for a while. But I'm back at it.  I just returned from Ireland (Northern) and went to Ballynarry Road to "view" the Wilson home location.  The house is no longer standing but it was important to at least walk the road.  I met some locals who confirmed that Wilsons and Greenaways were from that area and live on the road.

The information you dug up on James is amazing.  It makes sense as to why he was sent over to America and then raised by his Uncle (my great grandfather). So it seems that Eliza Wilson, daughter of George and Frances (Greenaway) likely had a child outside of marriage and died from that childbirth shortly after.  And with both George and Frances' death within a few years, the remaining family sent James to his uncle.

You mentioned you have lots of Wison info, I"d love to hear/see what you have.  I'll send a separate message with my email address.  When I was in Ballynarry, I learned about a gentleman, William Wilson who ran the old Bannfoot Ferry up to age 88.  I wonder if he fits in some how to my Wilsons?

Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you.  Again, my apologies for the long delay.

Laura 

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Re:  reply #11, yes, I'm all set on this.  Have discovered that Mary was Isabella Gilpin's sister (Thomas Wilson's wife) and it was that Mary who married Richard McClelland and live in NJ.

Thanks,
Laura

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately since this topic is over a year old any information I found went to the recycle bin.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I completely understand.  Unfortunately, my family was handed a few hardships this past year that tested our endurance and took me away from my research for a time. Luckily we survived it and I can now get back to it.

Again, thank you for your past assistance.

Laura

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 November 23 02:28 GMT (UK) »
As I am also researching Wilsons in Tartaraghan, I had the parish records for Tartaraghan and Milltown researched more than 15 years ago. Looking at the Milltown records found, I see the birth of a daughter Jane on 18 September 1852, baptized 19 September 1852, born to George (weaver) and Frances Wilson of Ballynarry.

Son James born to same couple on 17 January 1854, baptized 22 January 1854.

Daughter Mary born on 15 September 1856, baptized 21 September 1856.

Daughter Elizabeth born on 16 January 1859, baptized 24 November 1859.

Both George & Frances died in 1884 which you knew. They are both buried at Milltown Church.