Author Topic: William Gilbert - baptism or birth 1882 Queensborough  (Read 416 times)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Gilbert - baptism or birth 1882 Queensborough
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 August 22 22:21 BST (UK) »

I am wondering about this man in the 1911 in Minster Sheppey. Just down as born in Kent. 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW63-6Z1

Think this man was likely the son of Edward (a Waggoner on a farm) and his wife Rose.
Another one down.  :(

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 August 22 01:25 BST (UK) »

From the 1921 Census we have William Gilbert - age 39 and 5 months (therefore born in 1882) and it states that he was born 'Kent Queenboro'. In 1921 he was living near Birmingham (Solihull I think). He appears to have married Violet Timms in 1919 and their marriage certificate states that his father was also called William Gilbert (deceased) - Contractors Manager.

The family believe that William had a brother called Colin (which is why I have been contacted - but my Colin doesn't appear to be related) but this is just hearsay at the moment.

Who is 'your' Colin?

I can see a family tree on Ancestry that links the William GILBERT who married Violet TIMMS to a Colin GILBERT who married Hilda Maud GRANT. 

That Colin was born in 1893 to Alfred GILBERT and Emma JOLLIFFE.

GILBERT, EDMUND  COLLIN
Mother's maiden surname: JOLLIFFE     
GRO Reference: 1893  M Quarter in KINGS NORTON  Volume 06C  Page 429

He is just Colin (Colin E. in 1939) up until his death in 1956 in Leicester which was registered as Edmund Colin.

I am not sure why they think there is a connection between these two men.  Unfortunately there are no certificates attached to the tree.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 August 22 01:50 BST (UK) »

I am not sure why they think there is a connection between these two men.

I can see now that William and Violet had a son named Colin, so probably just clutching at straws.

Debra  :)

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can't beat a centre parting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 August 22 10:36 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thanks everybody - you were busy whilst I was out last night!

There's a baptism in FamilySearch for William Henry John Gilbert 29 Jun 1882 at Sheerness
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NTPK-17P
His father is indeed Henry Twisden Gilbert, mother is Emma  Gilbert. Unfortunately this doesn't fit with 'our' William stating that his father's name was William on his marriage certificate.

Regarding Colin... The great aunt of the lady I am working with has told her family stories about 'Colin Gilbert'. Apparently the brother of William, he served on the Cutty Sark at one time and was the last person to be flogged with the cat-o-nine-tails... There is no evidence of this and someone has even checked the crew lists and not found a Colin Gilbert who served on that ship. I doubt the aunt would have fabricated Colin - but it seems like she may have got her wires crossed somewhere along the line! It was also said that William and Violet's son, Colin, was named after his mysterious uncle.

The Colin that was born in 1893 to Alfred GILBERT and Emma JOLLIFFE is 'my' Colin (although I wasn't really interested in him until now - he was the husband of my grandfather's sister - Hilda Maud Grant). He was difficult to trace because he is sometimes called COLIN GILBERT, or COLIN EDMUND GILBERT, or  EDMUND COLIN GILBERT, or COLIN E GILBERT. He was born in 1893 - Penkridge Staffs and lived in Leicester for the latter part of his life. Fortunately Colin and Hilda's first child, Phylis, was born in Boston, Lincs. This was where Colin's parents were living and was the proof that connected my Colin with Alfred and Emma.

The tree on Ancestry has got them muddled up and needs changing. I think there are other similar messes on FamilySearch!

Re the 1891 census - there's nothing obvious at the moment.

That 1911 Census looked tasty but alas it seems it isn't 'our' William.

I'd heard about the demise of William - I cycle occasionally and it's always a worry...

Well - onwards and upwards. Thanks again to you all for looking at this!

Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet