Author Topic: Annbank, Tarbolton and Mossblown  (Read 247 times)

Offline danieloks2ndaccount

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annbank, Tarbolton and Mossblown
« on: Saturday 27 August 22 18:26 BST (UK) »
Been looking at a lot of SP records lately and I was wondering, why was Annbank and Mossblown always under Tarbolton? I have seen it in census records where a family will be listed as living at 54 Annbank, Tarbolton.

I live in Tarbolton, and nowadays I believe Mossblown and Annbank are not under Tarbolton.

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Annbank, Tarbolton and Mossblown
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 August 22 19:48 BST (UK) »
The Scottish Places website shows all the settlements that fall under the <p><a href="https://www.scottish-places.info/parishes/pardetails943.html">Parish of Tarbolton</a></p> As you will see, these two places are shown as falling within the parish. (The place linked in red are clickable links because they have entries connected to them. Also note that the Maps function on the website has not been working lately for some reason.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 August 22 20:20 BST (UK) »
Ah, so Tarbolton was a parish until 1974 correct?

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 August 22 20:53 BST (UK) »
For all I know, it may still be. That is quite different, however, from a Registration District.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 August 22 21:20 BST (UK) »
I do not believe it is a registration district. There used to be a registry office in Tarbolton, but that has since been destroyed. The nearest registry office is in Ayr I believe, and as such that is where most births, marriages and deaths are registered

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 August 22 22:16 BST (UK) »
You need to distinguish the function of a parish as part of the Church of Scotland, and its part in civil administration and local government.

Yes, Tarbolton is a historic parish. See https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/parish/Ayrshire/Torbolton

All the old Church of Scotland records are on the basis of the parishes, which is why you would find information about people in these villages in the Tarbolton parish records.

When censuses began in 1801 the collection of the information was also organised on the basis of the traditional parishes.

In 1855, when statutory civil registration began, the registration districts in rural areas were identical to the parishes. (The cities were subdivided into a variety of RDs. Some, for example in Aberdeen, corresponded with the historic parishes, while some, for example in Glasgow, did not.)

Over time changes were made to the boundaries of the RDs as populations changed, and some RDs were subdivided.

Parishes were also used for compiling the Valuation Rolls and the Registers of Electors, though again the boundaries were adapted to population changes.

The Poor Law was also administered by parish from 1845 until it was superseded in the 20th century.

There were also changes to the parishes themselves. Even as early as the 17th century small parishes were amalgamated to make bigger ones, and in about 1891 there was a great tidying-up exercise that did away with some of the more illogical boundaries.

In 1975 all the county, town, burgh and city councils were abolished and replaced by new local government areas. However the Valuation Rolls were still collected by parish after 1975 until they were in turn abolished, and the Registers of Electors are still based on the boundaries of the parishes which, it is wrongly claimed, have been abolished.

(The Ordnance Survey does not help matters because it has deleted the parish boundaries from its present range of maps.)

There was also a shake-up of RDs at about the same time, followed inevitably by the closure of little-used registrars' offices in small communities.

So yes, Tarbolton is a parish but no, apart from providing the geographical basis for the electoral register it no longer has any function in public administration. It may still be used by the Church of Scotland as its unit of organistion - you'd have to ask the minister about that.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 August 22 00:49 BST (UK) »
I do not believe it is a registration district. There used to be a registry office in Tarbolton, but that has since been destroyed. The nearest registry office is in Ayr I believe, and as such that is where most births, marriages and deaths are registered

I didn't say it was a Registration District. I was talking about the parish and the settlements (towns) included in the parish. It was a Registration District until 1968, according to the Parishes and Registration Districts of Scotland guide available on the National Records of Scotland site. https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/statutory-registers/registration-districts. It remains a Registration District within the county of Ayr on the ScotlandsPeople site, for records that were created up to that year.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 August 22 02:51 BST (UK) »
Ah okay apologies.
Thanks all for the help!