Author Topic: Stephen Vicars/Vickars/Vickers - c1781  (Read 304 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Stephen Vicars/Vickars/Vickers - c1781
« on: Saturday 27 August 22 20:50 BST (UK) »
I have found a Stephen Vicars on the 1851 census.  It says that he was 70 years old and born in Whitchurch, Hampshire.  He died in Reading in 1858, aged 78.  Would someone be able to find a baptism for him, please?

Many thanks. :)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Vicars/Vickars/Vickers - c1781
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 22 16:20 BST (UK) »
No baptism, but a marriage on FreeBMD in 1844 Sept qtr Reading to a Mary Ann Bolton, so you could get his Father's name from buying the certificate. He was buried 17/1/1858 and had been living at Horn Street Reading at the time of his death.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 August 22 16:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry, paco, but that marriage is for a Stephen Vicars (son of Stephen Vicars) to a Harriet Carter.

I think it is his son.

Stephen Vickers married Mary Minns in 1811 in Reading.  They are shown together on the 1851 census at 3 Earl Court.  The other Stephen and Harriet are at Mitre Court.  The younger Stephen is aged 28 born in Wootten Bassett. On the same page is a James Vicars age 26, born in Reading.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 August 22 16:35 BST (UK) »
Added:

There is also a Thomas Vicars living near Stephen senior - he is Stephen's son.  And so is James.

Nell

Another edit: I think it is possible that the birthplace for James is an error on the census since the baptism record appears in Reading.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 August 22 17:06 BST (UK) »
On FreeBMD for the marriage I mentioned it shows for names if you go into the detail of it. Harriett Carter;Stephen Vicars;James Eggleton; and Mary Ann Bolton. On the 1851 census it shows a daughter who is married, but aged only 19 years old, and Stephen at this point is 70. I know lots of trees online show Mary Minns as his wife, but I did not see any detail of where this record came from. So all a bit confusing. Maybe you have the original Parish Records.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 August 22 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to look this up.  He remains a bit of an enigma. 

Yes, his son married Harriet Carter in 1844 and died in 1854.

I'm not particularly familiar with Hampshire/Berkshire, so an unsure where to look further.  :-\
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 August 22 17:37 BST (UK) »
Stephen Vickers/Vickus m Mary Minns 14 July 1811 at St Giles Reading, both otp from the register ref D/P96/1/10.  Witnesses John Wise & Rebecca Minns

Mary Vickers who married Charles Lewington in 1850 was baptised 25 Jun 1831 at St Giles, parents Stephen & Mary.  The marriage record has her father as Stephen.

A Mary Minns, daughter of Joseph & Catherine Minns was baptised at St Giles 7 April 1787.

Still of an age when she could have been having children in 1831, twenty years after the marriage is often around the time for the last child/children to be born.

Nell