Author Topic: Death of Benn Harrison Groves, born Sept 3, 1888  (Read 16277 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Benn Harrison Groves, born Sept 3, 1888
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 August 22 01:17 BST (UK) »
Margaret Graves, mother-in-law, widow, is the same age as Florence, so I think the census taker made a mistake in the first name, or Florence went by Margaret as well.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 August 22 15:59 BST (UK) »
I think Margaret just got accidentally repeated from the Margaret above.  The mother-in-law is noted to be a clerk in a blue print office.  There's a 1940 newspaper article mentioning Florence working for City Blue Printing Co. https://mckinley.advantage-preservation.com/viewer/?i=f&d=01011908-12312013&e=florence%20groves&m=between&ord=e1&fn=the_niles_standard_usa_ohio_niles_19400802_english_15&df=1&dt=1

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 August 22 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shelley for this article. It is strange that I can’t find Benn’s death anywhere on family search even if I put in USA as a place of death instead of Ohio. I have tried with Ben as a first name and with Harrison as the first name and no last name and I have tried with Groves as the last name and Graves and GR*. also different abbreviations.
I’ll try to send find the family in 1920 using Florence is the principal person or Myron or Benj. Etc, and no luck.
I had another person that I was researching and I just couldn’t find the death. In the end it turned out that his death was misentered with the first name of his brother-in-law who likely took him to the hospital instead of his own name.
Peggy

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 August 22 17:03 BST (UK) »
I would think the 1921 NY death could be him.  Maybe they all picked up and moved, so the 1920 census missed them, and Florence returned home some time after his death.  Also, Saranac Lake was a big location for tuberculosis treatment.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cure_cottages_of_Saranac_Lake  Maybe that's what Benn had, so he went there and didn't survive? 

You could try contacting the Saranac Lake library and see if they would do a look-up for an obituary or death notice.  https://www.slfl.org/contact-us  There's a researcher in the local history room listed on there too. 

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 29 August 22 20:03 BST (UK) »
Success! I have wondered if the death in Saranac Lake was Benn and it was. I couldn't get the details of that death before. So I  thought perhaps even if Benn died in Saranac Lake, there might be an obit in Trumbull Co. And there was. I wrote to the Trumbull Co. Library. He died Mar 18, 1921 in Saranac Lake of tubercular meningitis. They held services at his father's home in Fowler, and secondly in Youngstown at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Millinan, whom I don't think were relatives but Shriners.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 August 22 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help in solving this mystery. You are wonderful. His obit was under Benn Grove, not Groves, on Mar 24, 1921.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 August 22 22:52 BST (UK) »
There are Milligan relatives to the Groves. Wondering if Benn's obit mistakenly said a service was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs Frank Millinan, West Warren Ave., Youngstown when it should have been Milligan/Millikin. Will have to look into that.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 19:01 BST (UK) »
Today, I received Benn's death certificate and he actually died Mar 21, 1921 in Saranac Lake. His brother Glenn of Cleveland was the informant.