Author Topic: NFHS Journal request  (Read 494 times)

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
NFHS Journal request
« on: Sunday 28 August 22 15:51 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have the Nottinghamshire Family History Society journal Vol.7 No.7 (Apr 1993)? I'd love to get a copy of an article on pages 34-35 about the death of James Blagg of East Markham and I can't locate a copy of the journal.

Many thanks if you're able to help.

Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NFHS Journal request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 22 16:19 BST (UK) »
Only a thought - have you asked NFHS for help?  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 August 22 17:52 BST (UK) »
Confirmation of the article
Death of Mr. James Blagg, East Markham, 1819
by Anne Brailsford
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1847332

Burial at East Markham, 16 January 1819
James Blagg
Abode Gateford in parish of Worksop
Age 76
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818c49ce93790ec759aec08/

Death notice in the Nottingham Review, 22 January 1819
Another one in the Stamford Mercury, 29 January 1819
On Thursday the 14th inst. aged 76, Mr. Jas. Blagg, of East Markham, noted dealer in Welsh horses. He was father and grandfather to 65 children.

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 August 22 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi BumbleB - I had thought about that, but they don't sell old copies of the journal in their online shop and don't particularly encourage enquiries on their website, so I thought I try helpful Rootschatters first.

And thanks jonw65. That's where I saw the information about the Blagg article and I had the burial information, thanks. I hadn't seen the death notice though. I was planning to try to track all descendants as he's a common DNA ancestor via a mystery ancestor of mine - so the 65 children and grandchildren info is a bit of a blow!!

Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 August 22 18:02 BST (UK) »
Very glad that you got a result!
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 August 22 12:24 BST (UK) »
There are baptisms of 12 children at East Markham for a James Blagg and wife Mary, he is listed as a weaver. (NFHS) Do you have these?
With a marriage at West Markham ( Markham Clinton) 30 Aug 1768 to Mary Hempsall.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 August 22 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks larkspur.  I have those and I've just pieced together the 14 children of his eldest son too - a prolific bunch!
Interests include:

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 September 22 13:39 BST (UK) »
hi,

Nottingham archives used to have copies of NFHS Journals not sure if they still do and I'm going there tomorrow so will have a look for you.

also found a James Blagg aged over 21yrs, bachelor, a Horse Dealer of East Markham and Hannah Snell marry at St Giles Church Elkesley, maybe the son of your James Blagg in case you don't have it.

nottsgirl1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 September 22 18:26 BST (UK) »
Iam pretty sure I have seen Blagg s in the East Markham churchyard. Will go and have a look. Iam away at the moment.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley