Author Topic: POW Card 1940-1943  (Read 9457 times)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
POW Card 1940-1943
« on: Sunday 28 August 22 18:50 BST (UK) »
Could someone help me understand the camps and different numbers in the below images please.

These are written on a POW Card of my great grandfather, that I was able to photograph.

Thank you.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: POW Card 1940-1943
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 22 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
I'm not going to do the whole thing but I'll give a translation/explanation of the main abbreviations and you should be able to sort it from there. The first words in typescript mean Whereabouts and Alterations - in other words the various camps he was moved to, along with the date. Abg stands for Abgang = departure. As I'm sure you know STALAG (sometimes Stal) is short for Standlager which is a POW camp for other ranks. The roman numerals after the word Stalag  are the unique camp number which you can look up to get more details about the camp and where it was located. The roman numeral may be followed by a letter signifying this was a subordinate or overflow camp. The letter v stands for von = from, and n stands for nach = to.
The second card is all about his hospital treatment.  Laz stands for Lazarett = field hospital, sometimes qualified by Res = reserve. The word immediately before or after Laz is the town where the hospital was based (eg Stadtroda Res Laz is the Stadtroda reserve military hospital; Stadtroda is a town in south east Germany). There are a couple of abbreviations I don't know: one is Lkb and the other is düfg. It is possible the last one stands for Dienstunfähig = unfit for military duty.
I hope that gets you started.

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 August 22 21:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Andy,

I will try and work it out now, just another quick question, what would the 'hte 301 J.8 Stalag IXC' mean after, what I assume to be the meaning On 1st April 1941 from Front Stalag 171 to Stalag IXC / please?

Also the 'S [?]420 L.35 Stalag IXC' after On 10th October 1941 from Stalag ICXC to Heilag Rouen, please.

Kindest Regards
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I'm not going to do the whole thing but I'll give a translation/explanation of the main abbreviations and you should be able to sort it from there. The first words in typescript mean Whereabouts and Alterations - in other words the various camps he was moved to, along with the date. Abg stands for Abgang = departure. As I'm sure you know STALAG (sometimes Stal) is short for Standlager which is a POW camp for other ranks. The roman numerals after the word Stalag  are the unique camp number which you can look up to get more details about the camp and where it was located. The roman numeral may be followed by a letter signifying this was a subordinate or overflow camp. The letter v stands for von = from, and n stands for nach = to.
The second card is all about his hospital treatment.  Laz stands for Lazarett = field hospital, sometimes qualified by Res = reserve. The word immediately before or after Laz is the town where the hospital was based (eg Stadtroda Res Laz is the Stadtroda reserve military hospital; Stadtroda is a town in south east Germany). There are a couple of abbreviations I don't know: one is Lkb and the other is düfg. It is possible the last one stands for Dienstunfähig = unfit for military duty.
I hope that gets you started.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 August 22 22:22 BST (UK) »
what would the 'hte 301 J.8 Stalag IXC' mean after, what I assume to be the meaning On 1st April 1941 from Front Stalag 171 to Stalag IXC / please?
I don't think it's hte (no idea what that would stand for in this context). I think it's short for Liste which in this context means nominal roll. 
Also the 'S [?]420 L.35 Stalag IXC' after On 10th October 1941 from Stalag ICXC to Heilag Rouen, please.
Here it is definitely Liste. Not entirely sure about the s before Liste. Could stand for Sendung meaning despatch or consignment, The number afterwards being the serial number of the list. The Germans were very thorough bureaucrats!

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 August 22 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you,

So just to confirm I have this correct.

His Prisoner of war camps were;
On the 1 April 1941 from Front Stalag 171 to Stalag IXC
On the 10 October 1941 from Stalag IXC to Heliag Rouen
On the 10 April 1943 from Stalag XXIA to Stalag XXID
On the 23 June 1943 from Stalag XXID to his departure

His hospital treatment reads;
On 26 February 1941 from Laz Zug 613 to Reserve-Lazarett Stadtroda Lazarett medical register 42.
On 28 March 1941 to Reserve-Lazarett Schleiz.
On 21 April 1941 from Stadtroda Reserve-Lazarett to Reserve-Lazarett Obermahsfeld Lazarett medical register 93
On 22 August 1941 from Stalag IXC Bad Sulza [?]

Sorry if this might seem obvious, I just want to make sure I have the correct information written down.

what would the 'hte 301 J.8 Stalag IXC' mean after, what I assume to be the meaning On 1st April 1941 from Front Stalag 171 to Stalag IXC / please?
I don't think it's hte (no idea what that would stand for in this context). I think it's short for Liste which in this context means nominal roll. 
Here it is definitely Liste. Not entirely sure about the s before Liste. Could stand for Sendung meaning despatch or consignment, The number afterwards being the serial number of the list. The Germans were very thorough bureaucrats!

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 August 22 23:37 BST (UK) »
Heilag was one of the ones I missed. It is short for Heimatlager - a repatriation camp, in this case at Sotteville-lès-Rouen. You can read about that particular camp here: http://www.conscript-heroes.com/Art52-Heilag-at-Rouen.html

After Bad Sulza, I am pretty certain dufg means unfit for military service.
Looks like you have the rest of it correctly. I see you have discovered what Lkb stands for! Any idea of the German words?

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 August 22 23:51 BST (UK) »
Not entirely sure about the s before Liste.
On reflection I think the s may stand for siehe meaning see, refer to.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 August 22 16:46 BST (UK) »
A few thoughts:

Stalag is actually an abbreviation of Stammlager.

The Liste numbers are mostly/all followed by 'S', which will be Seite (= page).

Lkb appears to be Lazarettkrankenbuch (hospital medical register, as the OP has found) - see https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=266475
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk