Author Topic: Internal name for War Medal 1939-1945  (Read 2365 times)

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Internal name for War Medal 1939-1945
« on: Wednesday 31 August 22 02:00 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what the War Medal 1939-1945 was called internally?

In looking at my deceased dad's war records I see under Honours-Awards, Mentions that he was enititled to WSB 150190.  Was this the War Medal 1939-1945?  Also listed was the C.V.S.M. with clasp which make me believe it was.

I want to be sure.

Thanks!
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Internal name for War Medal 1939-1945
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 03:53 BST (UK) »
You don't state where/who your father served with but as nobody has replied yet...

C.V.S.M seems to be Canadian Volunteer Service Medal

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/medals-decorations/details/21

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 09:29 BST (UK) »
Canadian War Service Badge?
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 09:50 BST (UK) »
If your father is deceased and didn’t claim his medals, it might be worth enquiring to see if you, as next of kin, can claim them. Some countries allow this.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 10:22 BST (UK) »
@Dyingout,
While that's a good guess, I don't think it can be one of those badges as they were from the First World War. As far as I know nothing similar was issued for WW2.
More information here: https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/medals-decorations/medal-type/3

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 10:55 BST (UK) »
Canadian War Service Badge: a Committee on War Service Badges had recommended on 27 October 1939 that two badges be established; a SERVICE badge for those voluntarily attested for active service beyond Canada and a RESERVE badge for those medically exempt.

See: https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/medals-decorations/medal-type/3
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 11:01 BST (UK) »
Canadian War Service Badge: a Committee on War Service Badges had recommended on 27 October 1939 that two badges be established; a SERVICE badge for those voluntarily attested for active service beyond Canada and a RESERVE badge for those medically exempt.

See: https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/medals-decorations/medal-type/3
Well spotted

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 13:29 BST (UK) »
Good morning (my time).  Thank you all for the great replies.

Rosinish: I have further information on him in another post yesterday titled Cap badge, etc. for R.C.A.F. Hospital Assistants (https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=865495.0).

Others: War Service Badge sounds fitting.  Perhaps helpful was that the authority cited was 1 Rel 72.  He did receive the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with clasp and the War Medal 1939-1945 and I am now the delighted owner of them.

His service overseas was mainly in Labrador which was not then part of Canada.  However, he also had unspecified temporary duties beyond Canada which I understood included participating in the air transport of wounded back to Canada.  One of only two stories he ever told about the war was very unusual and suggests he had unusual duties.  He said one soldier came in gravely injured without any identification.  I suspect he was burned.  He was unconscious and in his last breaths when my dad, deeply moved, shouted at him something to the effect of "Who are you? We can't inform your family."  The fellow then woke up and said his Regimental Number and immediately died.  The numbers were seared on my dad's mind as he recited them to me when he told me the story some 40 years later.  It puzzled me how it could be that the meticulous military did not know who the person was and why someone so critical was in now Canadian territory.  Only thing I can think of was that he was on a ship a German uboat torpedoed.

Thanks for the help!

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 13:38 BST (UK) »
Dyingout, And J2022 and KGarrand: I believe you nailed it as the following looks quite familiar to me.  Hopefully I can locate it.