Author Topic: Poor Law Advice  (Read 714 times)

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Law Advice
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 September 22 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gadget .

Yes Isabella was listed as deceased in 1871 on Mary's wedding entry , and in 1875 on Christy's death certificate -  but was alive in 1867 . You would think that she would be easy to find wouldn't you . I think that she used the name Bell but I've searched for that too (and Bella).

We went over the same pass last October and my husband swore that he would never do it again . We  have booked to go up to Torridon again next October so maybe a trip to the Applecross Heritage Centre will be called for !

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 September 22 17:43 BST (UK) »
We went over the same pass last October and my husband swore that he would never do it again .
One of my favourite roads - I was always delighted to have a reason to go over to Applecross.

Though there was an occasion when I met what must have been the biggest pantechnicon in the Highlands on the last hairpin from the top and had to reverse all the way down the hairpins to get to a suitable passing place.

And on one occasion I only just escaped before a blizzard made the road impassable.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 September 22 18:59 BST (UK) »
Forfarian we had a severely over weighted car and so came back along the scenic route   :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 September 22 19:23 BST (UK) »
LOL!

In those days I drove a Mini, and it was tremendous fun on the Bealach na Bà and similar roads.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BeckyJane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 April 23 17:46 BST (UK) »
An update on this thread , I have now found ( I think   ) three of Isabella’s children .
Alexander was living in Australia under the variant Alastair .
I have sadly found a death certificate in 1862 for Donald.
I’ve also found a death entry for Donald’s twin , Duncan , in Peel , Ontario .

Still no sign of Isabella and her son William . Maybe if I find one it will lead me to the other . I think a trip to Inverness to check out the asylum records may be my best bet .