Author Topic: Poor Law Advice  (Read 723 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Law Advice
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 18:18 BST (UK) »

Have you tried the kirk sessions records on SP?

Also, if she was in some kind of institution, she might have be entered with initials only. I've also seen initial only on death certs.

Sometimes those elusive ones  suddenly appear so don't despair. 

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 18:59 BST (UK) »
Yes there is an Alexander McKenzie living in Lochcarron in 1871 listed as nephew with the Finlayson family . Isabella was from Lochcarron  but her maiden name was McKenzie . I will try and have another look for isabella's children tonight and see if they lead me to her . Christy as her oldest child would be the most obvious but she had two illiegitimate children and her 16 year old sister  was present at the first birth , maybe there was a fall out with Isabella .
Thank you Gadget I will have a look on the Kirk Sessions and check out initials only  . Any suggestions are fantastic as I just seem to be running out of ideas .

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 September 22 12:33 BST (UK) »
Had a read of the Kirk sessions for Applecross which are fascinating (when I can read the writing ) . They only go up to 1862 and I would be interested in 1862-1871. On a You Tube  tutorial on the Kirk Sessions it says that you can request SP to upload (if possible) extra dates . Has anybody ever done this please ?
Also could I ask a couple more questions please  ? Are all death records on SP , is it just a case of finding where it is :-) . And also back to the Poor Law does anybody know why somebody would be struck off the roll ?
Thanks again for any help at all that you can give me .  Becky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 September 22 12:47 BST (UK) »
Also could I ask a couple more questions please  ? Are all death records on SP , is it just a case of finding where it is :-) .
It was mandatory to register a death after 1 January 1855. All registered deaths should be on SP unless
- whoever should have registered the death didn't do so, and didn't get caught
- SP has failed to index it
- the death certificate is illegible

Before 1 January 1855, there was no requirement to keep any record of a death or burial.

And also back to the Poor Law does anybody know why somebody would be struck off the roll ?
The main reasons were
- they became able to support themselves again
- their family took responsibility for looking after them
- they refused an offer of relief made by the parochial board, for example the parochial board said yes, we will admit you to the roll and we will take you into the poorhouse, but the person refused to go into the poorhouse

There is no implication in the term 'struck off' - it doesn't necessarily mean they did anything bad. It just means that they no longer needed (or were deemed no longer to need) relief from the poors funds.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 September 22 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian .

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 September 22 13:19 BST (UK) »
Had a read of the Kirk sessions for Applecross which are fascinating (when I can read the writing ) . They only go up to 1862 and I would be interested in 1862-1871. On a You Tube  tutorial on the Kirk Sessions it says that you can request SP to upload (if possible) extra dates . Has anybody ever done this please ?

Bringing this question up in case someone has made such a request and can help.

I've not done this but it would be worth asking them. 

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 September 22 13:35 BST (UK) »
Have you followed up any of the other children, Becky?

If there were marriages, in addition to Mary's , it might give some hints or, sadly, even their early deaths.

Gadget

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 September 22 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget ,

I am still trying to find them all but it's difficult as they are all pretty common names.  Christy was the easiest to find but she died in 1875 aged 32 (of consumption)  leaving 2 illegitimate children . The death was reported by her uncle who was her late father's brother.  Christy's younger child changed her name from Ann MacKenzie to Ann McLean and seems to have been taken in by her father . I am still looking for Christy's son Alexander though .

Just realised that isabella was actually my GGG grandmother and her daughter Mary was my GG Grandmother . Mary married in Dingwall in December 1871 when both parents were listed as 'deceased' . There were no Mackenzies as witnesses .

Still looking for the four surviving boys, William , Donald , Duncan and Alexander,  who I can only definitely pin point in Annat in 1861 .  Did wonder if they may have emigrated . Maybe marriage records on SP would be the best way to find them as at least I can cross reference with their parents names .  Census records seem to be too much guess work as to whether they are the right person .

Thanks again for your help.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 September 22 14:44 BST (UK) »
.  Christy was the easiest to find but she died in 1875 aged 32 (of consumption)  leaving 2 illegitimate children . The death was reported by her uncle who was her late father's brother.

I assume that Isabella is recorded as dead  on that. I'll have another  furtle  later today.

Gadget

The first time I went to Applecross (early 1970s)  we had to go over the Bealach na Bà - not an easy road to drive! Later, when we lived up near Ullapool, the coastal road had been built. It's still very remote though.