Author Topic: Marriage of Charles W. Hallowell and Alice Mary abt 1908 probably Philadelphia??  (Read 14432 times)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Charles W. Hallowell and Alice Mary abt 1908 probably Philadelphia??
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 September 22 16:31 BST (UK) »

I wonder if the certificate might reveal if George's family had changed their surname upon emigration. Same for his mother's death certificate.

Here is the family in the 1880 census as you previously noted you found. Margaret is widowed.

1880 Census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MNQN-6FT

This is the family in the 1870 census. Looks like the family's name was originally "Hilbrick" or something close to that. Margaret's husband is John. All children's names & ages match 1880 census.

1870 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MN3C-VLN

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Charles W. Hallowell and Alice Mary abt 1908 probably Philadelphia??
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 September 22 16:52 BST (UK) »
I don't know how you do it, RJ.  I searched and searched for the family in 1870. Thank you so much.
I also searched for Alice in 1900 as well without any luck. She was reportedly living with her aunt and the only aunt on the Ibex side was Catherine. But there is always the other side of the family.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 September 22 18:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry, sorry. Alice was with her father in 1900 even though the newspaper says in 1904 that Alice had been living with her aunt since her mother's death in 1895.

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 September 22 18:54 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is John Ibex's emigration in 1858 to Baltimore, Maryland. Fits the timeline.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-95J3-9MFB?cc=1921756&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AKD55-JKB

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 September 22 19:05 BST (UK) »
If this is John Ibex aka **Ibold, he was alive until 1878. No indication of his permanent residence.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9R1B-S4C?cc=1916228&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQJ82-4BXM

Offline SheenaB

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 September 22 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Peggy
 and nice to meet you RJ

All your emails have been wonderful Peggy and I thought I would join you here, to maybe make it simpler than emailing back and forth? I did a google search and found you all here, I hope you don't mind. :)

All this is new information to me, and has broken a pretty big brick wall in my tree. If you don't know RJ, I am Alice May's Great Granddaughter, through her son Charles W, born in 1908.

My father told me all he knew about his Grandmother was that her surname was Sherman, and his father didn't talk about her for obvious reasons.

Nice to converse with all of you. I hope we all can find the accurate info to put any questions to rest.

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 September 22 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheena,
Might I suggest you order George Ibex's death certificate from 1934, if you are a US resident. You can order online for $5 and probably have it promptly and it might mention if his family changed their name along the way. I am having problems as I am not a US resident which will increase the cost immensely as well as the time frame, not that I couldn't get it done eventually. And then you could share with us all. My connection in all this is Lillian Waterson, first wife of Charles Warren Jr. born 1908.

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 22:21 BST (UK) »
I found a date of death for a Sebastien Sherman in Baltimore July 16, 1894 in Alms House, Westminster, Maryland. quite possible to be second husband of Margaret but I can't find any information about this death and/or if Margaret survived him.