Author Topic: NEW INN .... but where?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Nevthedigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Nevthedigger - digging bottles, artefacts, history
    • View Profile
NEW INN .... but where?
« on: Tuesday 06 September 22 08:15 BST (UK) »
Slim chance but I'm hoping someone can identify this location. The building in the centre, behind the bushes, has a sign which appears to say The New Inn (I can see 'The Ne ...'). The photo dates to around 1910.
Ossett history, Cussons chemist, Ashby in Dallowgill, Yorkshire.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: NEW INN .... but where?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 09:24 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth I would say this was part of a small town rather than a village, simply because of the gas street light over on the right. A village is unlikely to have had a mains gas supply.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 11:36 BST (UK) »
Somewhere in northern England, because of the dry stone walling and type of stone. It looks more like a village than a town to me, but the gas supply would mean it's not very remote, and the blackening of the stone suggests it's not too far from places churning out a lot of smoke.

Is there anything written on the reverse, or does the photo's provenance suggest any particular area?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nevthedigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Nevthedigger - digging bottles, artefacts, history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 12:53 BST (UK) »
A local village to us was supplied with gas by our gasworks in the 1890s, so it could be a village or an outlying area as long as it's not too remote.
There's nothing on the back, and it came with a collection of family photos from Morpeth but there were others in there too. A lot of the postcards in the collection had been sent to the same address in Holmfirth and another one in Denby Dale, both in the Huddersfield region.
I'm in West Yorkshire and it does have a northern look to it in my opinion.
Ossett history, Cussons chemist, Ashby in Dallowgill, Yorkshire.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 14:04 BST (UK) »
I thought for a moment I'd found it as the New Inn, Mount Tabor - up on a hill to the NW of Halifax. (Now called the Spring Head)

The location at a junction and the gradient and curve in the road look about right, but unfortunately the RH end of the building is wrong, and the building in the foreground on the left is completely different (see press cutting of 22 Sep 1950 near the top of the page linked to below). There's more about it on the link, including a fairly recent picture, but I'm really mentioning it as one that I think can be ruled out.

http://www.halifaxpeople.com/Historic-MountTabor-and-Wainstalls.html
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 14:25 BST (UK) »
What a gorgeous old Daimler bus in that article!
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 14:45 BST (UK) »
I'll throw this one in:

https://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/pubs/gu-milton-keynes-marsworth/photo/new-inn.html

Lots of new houses around it. It would be a shame if the lovely big brick place had been bulldozed...

I didn't realise there were so many pubs called "The New Inn" in Blighty... (Assuming it is indeed The New Inn... :D)
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 16:29 BST (UK) »
If the feeling is that this could be in West Yorkshire, Ancestry has a collection of Alehouse Licences for the period 1771 - 1962 which is searchable by pub name. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/2563/
Obviously there aren't any pictures but it might help with compiling a contemporary list of possible contenders.

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 17:40 BST (UK) »
Pennines or Peak District perhaps.

Lots of men standing around as if they are waiting for something to happen/come along.

Mining area???