Author Topic: Ancestry DNA matches change  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA matches change
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 14:25 BST (UK) »
You could ask them what they're playing at but I'm not sure that you'll get a sensible answer!

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 14:40 BST (UK) »
Ahhh..

Under detailed comparison , you'll get a section to Edit parents.  I've done this so I get this now! (see below)

Did you use this facility at any stage?

Add - this means that you can play around with their chromosome painter! 

Note that I'm a sceptic  on ethnicity categorisations!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline whoamitoday

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 16:59 BST (UK) »
I haven't looked at the ethnicity stuff since the day of the last update and haven't edited anything on there. I don't take that part very seriously. I'm still not seeing the parent 1 or 2 labels after the brief glitch yesterday but maybe one slipped through the net.
Looking at my unviewed matches, one has been assigned "Father's side". I didn't add the label because I haven't looked at that one before. I suspect that where that label is, it would have said "Parent 2" yesterday. That's where I saw those tags, and when (confirmed) Mother's or Father's side tags changed to Maternal or Paternal sides.
My mother has tested and her results are linked to my tree so sometimes when we get an over 20cm match it's automatically labeled as on her side, but my father hasn't done a DNA test so there something odd going on. I'm not concerned enough to query it though - it'll all come right in the end.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 17:21 BST (UK) »
So whoamitoday, are you saying that you were referring to the individual relationships of your matches rather than the ethnicity section?

If neither parent has tested (in my case they died many years ago so no DNA and would not appear in any calculation ), then  I've entered the relationship manually (Mother's side/father's side and cousinship).

The 'newish' Ancestry calculation is based on the ethnicity estimate, which is  just an estimate. I'm very sceptical about the ethnicity calculations.

I think they're going overboard !

Offline whoamitoday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 18:18 BST (UK) »
So whoamitoday, are you saying that you were referring to the individual relationships of your matches rather than the ethnicity section?

Yes Gadget. Yesterday those that I had assigned as Mother's or Father's side, changed to Maternal or Paternal, and lots of others, that I hadn't assigned any relationship to, said Parent 1's side or Parent 2's side all by themselves, and from what I can tell, correctly. Some however, particularly if they had no tree, had an "Unassigned" tag in that space.

Offline whoamitoday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 13:54 BST (UK) »
I've just seen this article that might explain what was going on, and what is to come:
https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/26/23367499/ancestry-genetic-matches-parent-side

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 14:56 BST (UK) »
I've just seen this article that might explain what was going on, and what is to come:
https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/26/23367499/ancestry-genetic-matches-parent-side

That article is just Waffle.

If Ancestry’s side view tech is so good then it would not show Parent 1 & Parent 2 but Father & Mother.

I have about 80 Ancestry DNA matches that I have linked into my tree of which some 90% are on my Mother‘s side so if Ancestry’s system is so good then giving me accurate result should be straightforward? 

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 September 22 14:02 BST (UK) »
As I understand it sideview is apportioning matches between your 2 parents, however it doesn't know which parent is which.

You can simply go in on the ethnicity page and edit parent 1 & parent 2 to read Mother & Father (if you know which is which) and then your matches will identify Mother's side or Father's side.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 September 22 14:11 BST (UK) »
That is my understanding too, Pheno  :)