Author Topic: Marriage Lookup - Cheltenham 1870  (Read 3676 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Lookup - Cheltenham 1870
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 September 22 13:09 BST (UK) »
Out of interest, the surname HOLLAND is listed is a known GYPSEY name and there are special sights for people researching ancestors, who did travel quite widely round the country.

I've also help a friend with the surname ALLA/e/N with his Gloucestershire/Wiltshire routes who moved North., originally called HOLLAND 'til them came up North of the Country,

In Wiltshire/Gloucestershire dialect the H is silent, and the D is as well.  I was born in Wiltshire and would pronounce  OLLAN for Holland.

Offline kelzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 September 22 02:44 BST (UK) »
Hi ciderdrinker - thank you for posting the census and all the extra info!! Maybe Abel is from the first marriage? While I said I haven't found his first marriage... I haven't (in Cheltenham)... there are a couple of possibilities. Gloucester 1830 to Margaret Bishop or Bristol 1824 to Sarah Newton Maggs.

Wonder where Rachel disappears to. There's an overseer document relating to a Rachel Holland in 1802 in Cowley on Ancestry.
trish1120 - hence while I'm not ruling it out completely! :) He's born four years after their 2nd last child so he may have been a surprise! Wouldn't be the first time someone brought down their age to make it more in line with their partner either.

Capetown: I had no idea they could offer that. Much more used to not having that option, I'll definitely look into that. Thanks for the tip and the added info! And very interesting that the name is a known gypsey name in the area. I had no idea! Might have to look up these sites. And the different pronunciations can make life difficult.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 September 22 07:34 BST (UK) »
If you Google

Turn cock to water company Cheltenham

There is a very old interesting website headed

The Cheltenham Water Works Company.

Has maps and old photographs. 

On page 11,  The third reservoir was completed in 1847 and actually held 14.8 million gallons.   It talks about the Company did not have the key to the main turncock etc.