Author Topic: Looking for Carl Johan Anderson born Sweden 31 Jan 1889 emigrated USA 1891  (Read 27419 times)

Offline otterspotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Carl Johan Anderson born Sweden 31 Jan 1889 emigrated USA 1891
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 September 22 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Yes, good sleuthing! I don't think the Elmdale Andersons will be connected as there was no other Anderson family in the USA, as far as we know, other than Carl's half-brother John Emil Ream.
Manning. Muss. Currently researching Titus Manning Suffolk & Norfolk 17 & 18th C.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 September 22 06:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Yes, good sleuthing! I don't think the Elmdale Andersons will be connected as there was no other Anderson family in the USA, as far as we know, other than Carl's half-brother John Emil Ream.

Apologies for my confusing post…I meant I wonder of the two other John’s born in 1889 were related to each other, somehow.  If Elmdale was a very small town in 1910 it seems coincidental that there would have been two boys with very similar names born in 1889, both with Swedish parents.  I believe a lot of Scandinavians settled in that area (in America), but it still seems odd.  Oh well, they most likely aren’t connected to your Andersons, so it doesn’t really matter.  When I find facts I just like all of the answers.   ;D
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 September 22 06:58 BST (UK) »
I believe you have Carl’s/Karl’s birth details, but is there any chance that his surname wasn’t Anderson? (I still have not found him in America, with his exact date of birth.) Didn’t folks from that part of the world at one time change their (childrens’) surname to reflect the names of their parents or grandparents?   Just a thought, probably not a good one, but I thought I would mention it.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 September 22 07:15 BST (UK) »
Eliminated another possibility:
Karl/Carl Johan Anderson was born 5 Oct 1888, Dalsland, Sweden.
Lived in Los Angeles, California during the 1930s and after.

Offline otterspotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 September 22 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for asking Lisa. I am sure his surname would have remained Anderson and 'Carl Anderson' was used in the orphanage records. He may have anglicised his Christian names once he left the orphanage but 'Carl (or Charles/Charlie) Anderson' is probably the most likely name he used I feel.

He left the orphanage at 15 so it may be quite possible that he changed his age/birthdate to appear older to get a job or enlist and kept that false birth date. That would explain the lack of a matching birthdate at least.
Manning. Muss. Currently researching Titus Manning Suffolk & Norfolk 17 & 18th C.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 September 22 10:08 BST (UK) »
You have mentioned this Aunt  Augusta Nelson. Where did she live and die?  Would it be possible that she may have informally adopted him? 

Also you mention the half brother, when did he arrive?  Could Carl have been taken in to this family?

What was his mother's maiden name and did she have any family already in the US? 

Did his father have family already in the US?

Did any siblings of the parents arrive from Sweden after 1891? 

Just throwing this in, in case he took his Aunt's name. 
a Carl Nelson born Sweden 1889 single naturalised 1907 is in the 1920 census as a Private stationed in Germany.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RN6-LML?i=51&cc=1488411&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3ASP85-DMX

Maybe not died 1968 but born 10/12/1889.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 September 22 11:22 BST (UK) »
From Swedish Examination books 1886. 
Just has Charlotta rather than Rosina Charlotte.
She is buried at Graceland under Charlotte. 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL5S-NHDF

Was Rahm her maiden name or is Johan Emil Rahm a child from an earlier marriage?

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline otterspotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 September 22 13:24 BST (UK) »
You have mentioned this Aunt  Augusta Nelson. Where did she live and die?  Would it be possible that she may have informally adopted him? 

Also you mention the half brother, when did he arrive?  Could Carl have been taken in to this family?

What was his mother's maiden name and did she have any family already in the US? 

Did his father have family already in the US?

Did any siblings of the parents arrive from Sweden after 1891? 

Just throwing this in, in case he took his Aunt's name. 
a Carl Nelson born Sweden 1889 single naturalised 1907 is in the 1920 census as a Private stationed in Germany.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RN6-LML?i=51&cc=1488411&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3ASP85-DMX

Maybe not died 1968 but born 10/12/1889.

Hi Thanks for your questions. His half-brother was part of the family and was 11 when they all emigrated together from Sweden in 1891. Johan Emil Rahm anglicised to John Emil Ream and was 18 when his siblings were sent to the orphanage, I have checked and there is no evidence of Carl living there but it one scenario may be that he worked for his brother's plumbing business, yes. I think that very likely. Mother's maiden name was Rosina Charlotta Nilsson . Her sister Augusta Nelson (anglicised) was already out there but we know for sure he did not live with her. Thanks again for looking for him.