Author Topic: Birth certificate for grand mother and her mother  (Read 30362 times)

Offline Twits

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate for grand mother and her mother
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 15 September 22 10:33 BST (UK) »
Good day aghadowey and Neale1961.

I am truly humbled. Thank you so kindly both of you for all the help. Never did I expect this!
This has all been a massive learning curve.

There is a lot of information you have both provided which I will now work through but I just want to say ...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Offline Twits

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 15 September 22 12:15 BST (UK) »
Again...I am gobsmacked. Thank you both.

I have just read through all the responses. I had no idea about the Scotland connection.
Then again, my level of research is clearly not up to the same level as yours...lol!

aghadowey - Might I ask how you located the birth certificate on irishgenealogy.ie 
I just tried a search again and could not locate it but if I follow your link I locate it.
Is there a special key you input in the search criteria?

What would be the next step now for my grand mothers birth certifcate?
Is that a case for the dreaded consulate in London?

Can you recommed a preferred family tree planner? I have been using Family Search thus far.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 15 September 22 15:09 BST (UK) »

aghadowey - Might I ask how you located the birth certificate on irishgenealogy.ie
I just tried a search again and could not locate it but if I follow your link I locate it.
Is there a special key you input in the search criteria?

Like aghadowey and myself, you just type Eliza in the First Name box, Laugland in the Last Name box and 1881 in the two Year Range boxes. Tick Birth box, then click Search. It gives you one search result-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1881/02834/2039037.pdf
(as in reply #20)

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 15 September 22 16:42 BST (UK) »
Note that the surname has been indexed with the wrong spelling. Aghadowey only discovered this by searching with Christian names only on FamilySearch. See reply #26

What would be the next step now for my grand mothers birth certifcate?
Is that a case for the dreaded consulate in London?
I am in no way very knowledgeable about this matter.
I think if you want a “vault copy” of the birth certificate the only way is through the Home Office or via the Consulate. As you have already been warned earlier on this thread - this can be difficult.
Perhaps first contact the Genealogical Society of SA  https://eggsa.org/index.php/en/   to see if they can help, or at least advise you.

There is a little bit here, where people discuss obtaining photos of death certs through the eggsa.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=211554.9

Can you recommed a preferred family tree planner? I have been using Family Search thus far.
Not sure what you mean by a family tree planner??
If you do a search on this forum there are quite a few discussions about family tree templates. This might be give you some ideas. :)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Twits

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 15 September 22 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiltaglassan

Thanks for the response.
I am thinking it may have been my browser because that is exactly what I did previously, exactly as you have described, resulting in nothing.
I just went back and searched again...presto.

So I am there...eventually  ;)

Offline Twits

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 15 September 22 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Neale1961

I was thinking of contacting  https://eggsa.org/index.php/en/ as a first step as well.
I will let you know the outcome.

On a side note, yesterday I contacted the Trinity Church of Cork asking them to clarify if Florence had been baptised there. They responded today advising not BUT they could confirm that her parents were indeed married there.

So if it helps anybody reading this, yet another source is to contact churches directly.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 16 September 22 00:11 BST (UK) »
Just picking up on reply #26 by aghadowey and the newspaper articles from the late 1890s.

We know that John Langlands (senior) who started the grocery business in Cork was retired and living in Scotland by 1891, and possibly earlier. He died in Nov 1891 (typo corrected.)
So I think his sons must have taken over the running of the shop in Cork. There was a son John “junior”,  and I think the James referred to in the papers must be the James who eventually emigrated to South Africa. He was possibly doing the clerical work for the family business. Maybe the son William who was in the steam ship business was involved in transporting that delicious Scottish oatmeal to Ireland. :D
Perhaps the fire in late 1896 put an end to the grocery business, and they never re-built. I could see no Langlands living in Cork in the 1901 census.

We know that James Langlands and family were still in Cork in 1888 (when a child died) but I suspect they were there much longer. I believe that was him in 1897 travelling with his brother William from USA to Liverpool (reply #22).
We don’t see records for the family in South Africa until about 1907. So where was our Langlands family in 1901 census?  Not in Scotland.  ???
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 16 September 22 00:17 BST (UK) »
Looking at ships passenger lists, I can see that the oldest boy emigrated to South Africa first, and then other members of the family followed.

Arriving in South Africa from Liverpool in March 1902 on “Persic” - John George LANGLANDS (26, Irish, a clerk)

Arrival in Capetown in August 1903 on “Athenic” - Miss E. Langlands (Eileen) and Miss F. Langlands (Florence)

Arrival in Capetown in June 1904 on “Athenic” - Mr J. Langlands (gent), Mrs Langlands (wife), Miss M Langlands (Margaret) and Miss K Langlands (Kathleen).

After hours of searching!!
Here they are in 1901 census for Ireland under the name LAYLAND (mis-transcibed)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/North_West_Ward/Richmond_Hill/1108787/

The first records for the Langlands family in South Africa are:
1907 (March) Eileen Isobel Langlands married HULME
1908 Margaret Helen Langlands marriage to HAMILTON
1909 Florence Langlands marriage to SIMMONDS
1913 James Langlands (senior) died
1915 Cecil James married to SAVILLE
1917 Edith May Langlands married her sister’s widower HAMILTON

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 16 September 22 07:30 BST (UK) »
Good find, Neale1961 re the 1901 census under Layland - it clearly shows Langland but his writing is very poor.  ::)

The error in transcription has been reported.

(N.B. typing error in your reply #33 - "He died in Nov 1981.")

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo