Author Topic: Turkish Medal/Coin  (Read 330 times)

Offline reynolds_1979

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Turkish Medal/Coin
« on: Wednesday 14 September 22 10:45 BST (UK) »
I am currently clearing my aunt and uncle's house. And came across a Turkish medal/coin with very little on it. It has the side view of, who I believe, is Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. The only words are 'Turkish Republic' with no date. And it's blank on the back. I suspect it may be a tourist thing but wondered if anyone has seen something similar and could help identify what it is.

Thanks

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Turkish Medal/Coin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 11:47 BST (UK) »
There is a biography of this man, born 1881 and died 1938, on Encyclopaedia Britannica.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Kemal-Ataturk

As it is blank on the back it may well have been a tourist souvenir.  The image on the coin looks very like the photo included on the biography.

Perhaps another Rootschatter may be able to assist.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 12:29 BST (UK) »
Kemel Ataturk was very sympathic after WW1.
He had British and Commonwealth troops who were killed at Gallipoli buried in the same cemetery as Turkish troops.
In his speech he said ,to English mothers especially ,that their sons were with the sons of Turkey. Their graves would be tended just as well and not neglected.” Your sons are now our sons —-“ I must look it up as it is a very conciliatory speech and very comforting to British mothers especially who would never get to visit their sons’ graves.
The film Gallipoli was where Turkish and British troops clashed, the Turks on the cliffs above and our troops on the beaches below,sitting  ducks!

A lovely poem in a WW1 book “ Death of a Hero “ is about The battle of Troy, but is comparable with Gallipoli ,which is not far from the believed site of Troy .
An interesting find,don’t throw it away.
There may be a connection to someone in your family  ,Suvla  Bay is worth looking up.
I can imagine the medal was distributed perhaps in recognition of Kemel Ataturk’s great sympathy for the men who has been the enemy .
Viktoria.
I am going to check my info,as some Australians are somewhat doubtful as to its authorship. They lost very heavily at Gallipoli.
K.A. Was a reformer though .V.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 19:10 BST (UK) »
I could be wrong (it has happened before, so I know that it could happen again), but I believe that the medal could be the one that was issued when Turkey became a Republic. I believe that it was issued to almost all the citizens of the new republic. People who were a "Somebody" had an inscription - most did not. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 20:47 BST (UK) »
That sounds feasible, it became a Republic under Ataturk .
He modernised the alphabet ,language and more rights for women.
There was a lovely TV programme ,and the cemetery was shown and his speech on a stone slab.
Most interesting.
Let us know if you make any family connection to Turkey,or WWl  in that area,Gallipoli ,The  Dardanelles .
An Australian song is very moving ,” And the band played Waltzing Matilda” ,
— ‘“We buried ours
       And they buried theirs .
        And it started all over again “

What an interesting find.Thanks.
Viktoria.
P.S. the ribbon ,looks like tartan but not seen one in those colours .