Author Topic: Will DNA Testing confirm if I am related to another person?  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Will DNA Testing confirm if I am related to another person?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 September 22 21:50 BST (UK) »
a neighbour showed me her family tree   
There were glaring errors, someone had lived to 130, someone had married at age 4 and a 70 year old woman had given birth. 
I asked my neighbour about checking sources but she didn't know what I was talking about. 
I have politely declined her offer to help me with my tree!
I think you should have 'politely' offered to amend her tree  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 September 22 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie.

I did try to point out one entry that was clearly wrong, but my neighbour would not accept anything could be incorrect.  What infuriates me is that after 2 weeks of research she is calling herself an expert and is offering to help other neighbours start a family tree!  She has left her tree with hundreds of entries for everyone to view on Ancestry, she explained to me that it was important to do that to help others!   
London: Bethell, Corfe, Fisher, Medcraft, Trotter, Walker, Woodley
Beds & London: King                     
Gloucestershire & London: Kear    
Herts & London: Dawson 
Notts & London: Barber                          
Wilts & London: Wilkins, Wise
Scotland: Allan, Insch, Small, Peebles
Spain: Ivorra Llinares, Ivorra Barcelo

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 September 22 02:02 BST (UK) »
It is no doubt a daunting task should you decide to put your tree online.

3000 is a pretty good number, mine is nearly 7000 after 12 years but I have never been into the numbers that many are, accuracy is far more important.

I would counsel against splitting your tree up as you can only link your DNA test results into one tree.

For DNA matching going back to 1800 and as wide as possible will help with the DNA hints especially those that have Common Ancestor(s).

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 September 22 07:16 BST (UK) »
Also DNA matches on ancestry you can compare ethnicity with your matches . If your ancestor was of Scottish origin and not just living in Dundee that will show
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 September 22 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Biggles50 and bridigmac, more very helpful information. 
That has made me think twice about splitting up the tree.  I do have my tree input on Treeview on TG, and I have now been told I can get that in Gedcom form and export it to Ancestry.  Something else for me to learn!
I also didn't realise about the ethnicity match.  The Philip Small I am interested in was born in Scotland to a Scottish mother and English father.  I have traced that mother back a couple of generations and her branch all seem to come from Fife.   
Thanks again.   

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 September 22 09:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to understand how DNA Testing works but I have to admit to being thoroughly confused so I hope someone will be kind enough to help me.

My situation is that my Paternal GreatGrandfather was illegitimate.  I know from his birth cert and baptism record that his father was Philip Small.  My research has led to me to a Philip Small from Dundee 1845-1931, who I suspect could be my 2 x GreatGrandfather. 

I have made contact with a person who is a direct descendant of Philip Small from Dundee, and  had also come to the conclusion that my GreatGrandfather could be the illegitimate child of their ancestor.

We are both happy to pay for DNA Testing but are unsure if it would definitely confirm if we share the same ancestor or not?

Many thanks.
Not necessarily but there is a good possibility it will.
We inherit approximately 50% of our DNA from our father and inherit approximately 50% of our DNA from our mother.
This means we do not carry or inherit approximately 50% each of our parents DNA. In a similar way any children our ancestors have will only carry 50% of each of their parents DNA. We and they can only pass on the DNA we carry; we cannot pass on any DNA we have not inherited.
It is therefore possible though unlikely that two siblings do not share the same DNA and as the number of generations between the common ancestor and the living people gets larger the less likelihood of sharing DNA exists.
Luckily in many, if not most cases there is still some common DNA but the amount may be too small to differentiate between and ancestor's DNA and normal background DNA from a “local” population.
Cheers
Guy

P.S. DNA is another tool to help in your research, as with paper evidence we need to find and collate as much evidence from as many sources as possible before coming to any conclusion. We should also be aware that even after collating all the evidence we have collected our assumptions may be shown to be wrong. Unless we are aware it is always possible to draw the wrong conclusions and are willing to recheck our existing work as farther records become available we will never be able to claim or tree is totally accurate.
Any tree is always a work in progress and for a man that may even include ones "own" children, in most cases this last is not likely but it is a possibility and I only mention it to make people aware older paper records could be inaccurate.
Cheers
Guy
Corrected my spelling, sorry Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 September 22 09:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Guy, some very good advice there.  I am continually grateful to everyone on this site who takes the time to help other people out. 

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 September 22 12:26 BST (UK) »
I took a DNA test with Ancestry a couple of years ago now. In my case I did already have a private tree on Ancestry, but I was still hesitant about taking the DNA test. Having eventually taken the plunge, I would offer the following advice.

First of all, don't be put off by the stories you hear about Ancestry trees. Yes, there are some trees on Ancestry which are complete nonsense, but there are also well researched, carefully assembled trees which are a rich resource for your research. Just remember, an Ancestry tree is only as good as it's owner.

Don't worry about the sources. My private tree is carefully sourced, with links and details carefully explained, and with comments detailing my thinking where there may be confusion or ambiguity in the information available. When I took the DNA test, I misunderstood the information and thought I had to have the results linked to a public tree to get any benefit from eg Thrulines (I now know it works fine with a private searchable tree but such is life). Since I wanted to get the maximum benefit from the test, and needed something constructive to do whilst I waited for the results, I set to work creating a public tree, but made a conscious decision NOT to copy all the thousands of sources from the main one. So the public, DNA linked tree has births, deaths and marriages but zero sources (the one exception being I write in the parish and entry numbers for those records which came from Scotland's People). My attitude being if someone dismisses my tree simply because it appears to have no sources, that's their loss.

Related to the above - don't be a Genealogy snob. Just because a tree has some mistakes, just because it has 16 000 + entries, just because it has a mother with 4 children born in the same year, doesn't mean it is all wrong. It might be that the one tree on Ancestry which provides the crucial link to your undiscovered 5x Great grandparents is that tree with multiple obvious mistakes but which also happens to have a copy of a family bible from the 1700s of your non conformist 4x great grandparents.

ALWAYS remember that hints are just that - hints which MIGHT relate to your ancestor or relative. Crucially, also remember that thrulines are also HINTS. Check, double check and even triple check them. Most of the obvious errors you will find on Ancestry are due to people blindly accepting hints without checking - plus a few cases of even quite thorough and careful researchers sometimes being guilty of believing what they want to believe.

Don't fall into the "20 people can't all be wrong" trap - just because several trees all have the same marriage or the same parents for your ancestor does NOT mean they all researched and drew the same conclusion, nor does it mean they are all correct.

Above all, remember that even if your tree is public its still YOUR tree. If you have researched a particular person and are confident in your own mind that they do belong in the tree, go ahead and put them in. No one else has a right to tell you that they shouldn't be there if you think they should.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 17 September 22 13:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Albufera32 for your detailed reply, it was very helpful. 
I think I will end up putting a public tree on Ancestry but I will take out some of the data from my current private tree so I end up with the ancestors that I'm sure about and who are relevant to my DNA.  My husband's ancestors take up half my tree and I've also got a couple of large branches passed on by contacts that only relate to former spouses with no bloodline connection to my ancestors. 
I'm not sure what I should do with Philip Small from Dundee on my tree.  I have built up quite a large branch whilst trying to see if I can confirm if he is my 2xGreatGrandfather or not.  I don't think he should be on a public tree as I have no proof yet that he is my ancestor.  However I'd like to take advantage of every opportunity to connect with more of his descendants.