Author Topic: William Wilkinson & Elizabeth Smith marriage  (Read 547 times)

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
William Wilkinson & Elizabeth Smith marriage
« on: Wednesday 14 September 22 13:11 BST (UK) »
I have a James William Wilkinson b 1873 East Retford MMS Smith. On the 1891 census he is with parents William & Elizabeth nee Smith living in Canal Row East Retford. He married after this to Lydia Saxilby but I cannot find him in the 1881 census before marriage.
Also the only marriage I can find for a William Wilkinson and Elizabeth Smith is in 1874 in East Retford. Elizabeth is from Lincoln and William from Nottingham. Again the 1881 census is a puzzle. I found a William and Elizabeth in 1881 in Canal Row but Elizabeth is down as born Tuxford Notts. On the 1871 census they appear with a daughter Margaret b 1871 living in Sutton's row East Retford but I am not sure if it's them. Also on the marriage for William and Elizabeth it said his father was Stephen, but on his birth it says MMS is Bennett, again no marriage for any two people of those names. Any info much appreciated
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Wilkinson & Elizabeth Smith marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 22 01:34 BST (UK) »
On the 1871 census they appear with a daughter Margaret b 1871 living in Sutton's row East Retford but I am not sure if it's them.

SMITH, MARGARET  SARAH
No mother's maiden surname
GRO Reference: 1870  D Quarter in EAST RETFORD UNION  Volume 07B  Page 8

She would be 'Sarah' who appears in 1881.

I have a James William Wilkinson b 1873 East Retford MMS Smith. On the 1891 census he is with parents William & Elizabeth nee Smith living in Canal Row East Retford. He married after this to Lydia

I think that the enumerator couldn't read their own handwritng when copying the household, and 'Janet' should be 'James'.

Also on the marriage for William and Elizabeth it said his father was Stephen, but on his birth it says MMS is Bennett, again no marriage for any two people of those names. Any info much appreciated

Can you post details of this birth, I can't see it.

Debra  :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 22 02:02 BST (UK) »

Also on the marriage for William and Elizabeth it said his father was Stephen, but on his birth it says MMS is Bennett, again no marriage for any two people of those names. Any info much appreciated

William WILKINSON, mmn      BENNETT      June qtr 1845 EastRetford (15/507)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 22 02:07 BST (UK) »
Also on the marriage for William and Elizabeth it said his father was Stephen, but on his birth it says MMS is Bennett, again no marriage for any two people of those names.

Possibly December qtr 1840 (15/953) East Retford - there is a William (I realise this not Stephen, but either could be a middle name) WILKINSON and a Mary BENNETT, also a Sarah BENNETT on the same page.

Modified to add:
Probably Sarah BENNETT, as there is a William (25) and Sarah (30) WILKINSON at Blyth (East Retford registration district) on the 1841 census.
HO107/849/6/4 pg2

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 22 02:07 BST (UK) »
COLMAN, WILLIAM
Mother's maiden surname: WILKINSON     
GRO Reference: 1848  D Quarter in EAST RETFORD UNION  Volume 15  Page 469

COLMAN, JULIA
Mother's maiden surname: WILKINSON      
GRO Reference: 1851  D Quarter in EAST RETFORD UNION  Volume 15  Page 501

In 1861 the mother of these children, Elizabeth WILKINSON is recorded as unmarried.  They are living in Ordsall with Elizabeth's married sister Julia WOODHEAD.

In 1851 Stephen and Elizabeth COLEMAN are living in Grove with a son named Fergus William aged 2.

I think that Stephen has gone back to Norfolk and married Maria GREENACRE in 1860.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 22 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hopefully Juila isn't Elizabeth's sister but just a relation because I think that might mean that Stephen COLEMAN was Elizabeth WILKINSON's uncle.

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 September 22 11:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dundee, it's a bit of a mix up isn't it. I did think that Janet may have been James on the 1881 census and that second names may have been used. I will have a look later. It was freereg I saw the marriage on of William and Elizabeth and it said Father was Stephen.
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 September 22 13:32 BST (UK) »

"Possibly December qtr 1840 (15/953) East Retford - there is a William (I realise this not Stephen, but either could be a middle name) WILKINSON and a Mary BENNETT, also a Sarah BENNETT on the same page."

William Wilkinson and Mary Bennett married 12 Nov 1840 North Wheatley St Peter and St Paul Church

Sarah Bennett married George White same day and place

Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 September 22 13:55 BST (UK) »

William WILKINSON, mmn      BENNETT      June qtr 1845 EastRetford (15/507)

Christening of William Wilkinson son of William Wilkinson and Mary Bennett on 6 April 1845 at Sturton Le Steeple, Retford
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;