Author Topic: Birth father's grave in Bishop's Stortford  (Read 393 times)

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth father's grave in Bishop's Stortford
« on: Wednesday 14 September 22 15:46 BST (UK) »
I have only comparatively recently discovered where my birth father is buried and to my surprise there was no gravestone so decided I would arrange to get one and have it placed in the designated place.

This morning I rang the cemetery office to find out how I should proceed and was told that the details are with his family (he died in Bishop's Stortford in 1954) but the person I spoke to could not give me any details of who to contact.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation and, if so, how did they proceed, please?

I shall look forward to hearing from you ...
Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Birth father's grave in Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 22 02:17 BST (UK) »
If somebody else owns the deeds to the grave, you would not be allowed to erect a headstone without their permission.   The Cemetary office cannot release details of that person to you - privacy rules.

If he died in 1954 you would have to trace living members of his family yourself to find the deed holder
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 22 08:58 BST (UK) »
If somebody else owns the deeds to the grave, you would not be allowed to erect a headstone without their permission.   The Cemetary office cannot release details of that person to you - privacy rules.

If he died in 1954 you would have to trace living members of his family yourself to find the deed holder

Thank you for getting in touch with your advice. I am hoping to speak to my great-niece tomorrow in the hope she has some suggestions.
Sasha
Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 22 09:23 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether it's the same in all cemetaries but I had to get planning permission & pay a fee when I wanted to put a granite surround & top on my grandparents grave.  A few years later after their remaining daughter died I wanted to erect a headstone but would have had to pay again for planning permission so had a "cushion" on the granite top with their names.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 22 09:37 BST (UK) »
Have we established whether the cemetery office won't give details of the grave "owner" because of privacy legislation or can't because they don't have up to date contact details? The burial was 68 years ago after all.
About 5 years ago we got permission from BS cemetery office to have some family headstones repaired and in one case re-erected as it had been vandalised and broken off at ground level. The office were most helpful in also tracing two infant burials which were with their parents put not recorded on the parents headstones. They would have been OH's great uncles. This was in the old cemetery though and last family burial in the plot was in the 1930's so probably "ownership" had long expired and they were only too happy for a descendant to have repairs done.   
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 22 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL ... many thanks for getting back to me with your two suggestionss.

I have now 'phoned the BS cemetery office and the lady there has no record if the holder of the grave deed is still alive. However, she did suggest I follow his sister's line to see if there are any living descendants I could try and trace ... I can see this will be my week-end task🤣

Again many thanks ...
Sasha

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 September 22 11:49 BST (UK) »
I do hope you are successful
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 September 22 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL ... many thanks for getting back to me with your two suggestionss.

I have now 'phoned the BS cemetery office and the lady there has no record if the holder of the grave deed is still alive. However, she did suggest I follow his sister's line to see if there are any living descendants I could try and trace ... I can see this will be my week-end task🤣

Again many thanks ...
Sasha
Many thanks
Sasha