Author Topic: Elizabeth Edwards born 1854  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Edwards born 1854
« on: Wednesday 14 September 22 17:03 BST (UK) »
From a marriage certificate, Elizabeth Edwards age 21 (born 1854) m Henry James Pritchard on 4th January  1875.   In Free BMD the marriage is registered in Bath and the certificate records the marriage  was solemnized in the Parish Church, parish of Widcombe, Somerset.   Elizabeth's father is recorded as William George Edwards.   His profession is unclear, possibly Marble Mason.

I'm trying to trace Elizabeth's family before her marriage with little success.    From the above information grateful for help in finding the family in 1871 or earlier.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Edwards born 1854
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 17:20 BST (UK) »
Just to get things started, but I may not be able to add any more later:

The marriage entry is at Ancestry and gives Elizabeth's address as 35 Kingsmead Street. This can be found in the 1871 census at RG10/2491 fo72 p14-15.

One of the households at that address is headed by Caroline Edwards, a widow; there are two daughters with her aged 8 and 4, so Elizabeth is presumably elsewhere. (The 8 year-old is called Eliza, but if that is actually Elizabeth there must have been some serious massaging of ages going on. I suspect she's probably a different daughter.)

Another household there is headed by a Martha Love, which is the same name as one of the marriage witnesses.

ADDED:
I see the marriage was by Superintendent Registrar's Certificate. This was an alternative to having the banns read or obtaining a licence, and was sometimes the preferred option for non-conformists.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 18:58 BST (UK) »
There is this census but ages are all over the place for adults, but some of it makes some sense.

1861 - Piece:   1688, Folio:   4, Page number:   1
Civil parish:   Lyncombe and Widcombe

Caroline Edwards, 50   Head
Matilda Edwards   24   Daughter
Elizabeth Edwards, 9   Daughter
Emma Edwards, 7   Daughter
Edwin Edwards, 5    Grandson

An online tree has Elizabeth, Emma, Edwin as children of Matilda, her parents where John George Edwards died 1840 and Caroline Doggrell. (Bapt as Caroline Matilda Edwards)

You would have to check/research, see what you think (if connection)

1841  for family at Grove Street address for death of John George Edwards
Civil parish:   Bathwick
Piece:   93, Book:   4, Folio:   8

Caroline Edwards 30
Isabella Edwards   6
Martha Edwards 4
John Edwards 2
Jane Edwards 1

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 22 04:42 BST (UK) »
Transcription of    John Edwards Burial record

Archive    Somerset Archives
John Edwards
Age    33
Residence    Grove Street
Burial date    08 Nov 1840
Record set    Somerset Burial Index
Denomination    Anglican
Place    Bathwick   Somerset

Kay

Added  - On Anc

Marriage date    24 Feb 1823  Bath, St James, Somerset
John George Edwards  bachelor
Spouse Caroline  Doggrell - Spinster
First witness    George Papps
Second witness    Harriet Doggrell

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 22 13:59 BST (UK) »
There does seem to be quite a tangle - and quite likely more than one Caroline. The one I found in 1871 was given as aged 36, and the children were Eliza aged 8 and Selina aged 4.

I tried looking at BathBMD to see if I could get anywhere with the children; I didn't spot Eliza, but the most likely birth entry for Selina was a Caroline Selina Hughes Edwards in 1866, with mother's maiden name blank.

For the Elizabeth we started with, the most likely birth was in 1852, with mmn again blank.

Two questions about fathers, though: if that's the right birth for Elizabeth, is the father on her marriage entry an invention, or was there a William George somewhere in her background (possibly with a different surname)?

And, how does John George Edwards fit in (plus his wife Caroline Doggrell)? Are they parents of the 36 year old Caroline in 1871?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 22 14:26 BST (UK) »
Not sure Arthurk, there are a number of trees that have this family together, including Elizabeth as dau of Matilda, I pointed the OP in that direction as there maybe some connection they have to figure or discount.

I agree that there is possibly more than one Caroline, the ages vary and it is quite confusing. Also after marriage Elizabeth is down as Lily on some census.

I will leave it in the hands of OP as could not find another likely candidate in area.

Cas

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 September 22 17:53 BST (UK) »
The 1871 Caroline Edwards age 36 is possibly listed as Matilda Edwards age 24  in 1861. Although rather too early there is this baptism  :-\

Caroline Matilda Edwards
Parents John George and Caroline Edwards
Father's occupation    Carpenter
Baptism date    16 Oct 1825
Document type    Bishop's transcripts
Residence    Grove Street
Place    Bathwick

Kay

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 September 22 18:22 BST (UK) »
There is this death in 1874

OFFER, MATILDA    age   40 
GRO Reference: 1874  D Quarter in BATH  Volume 05C  Page 446

Caroline Matilda Edwards married Mr Offer in 1872 tree states, there is a marriage record. Also there is some discrepancies in ages as stated, unless the Caroline Matilda b 1825 died and this is another daughter born around 1834, or she was very liberal with her age.

The OP has been frequently online but has not commented/contributed to any of the postings on his query.

So shall leave them to figure out or disregard

Cas

Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 September 22 16:04 BST (UK) »
There appears to be no definitive link with Elizabeth Edwards and her father William George Edwards but many thanks for all your helpful replies.   Yes, I've been on line several times but wanted to reserve any comment pending replies.   Yesterday I did a little more research.

Elizabeth's marriage certificate in 1875 records her age as 21 (1854).  Elizabeth is recorded in the census of 1891, 1901 and 1911 under the name of Lily or Lilian Pritchard, her year of birth ranges from 1852 to 1859.   In all three she is recorded as born in London.   After marriage Elizabeth, or Lilian Pritchard settled in Bath.   Free BMD records the death of Elizabeth Lilian Pritchard in Bath in 1928 aged 75 (born c.1853). Sadly, none of this identifies Elizabeth with her father.