Author Topic: Sandersons the Vat 69 Distillers  (Read 401 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sandersons the Vat 69 Distillers
« on: Thursday 15 September 22 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been searching for my late mother's younger siblings who were adopted during the early 1930s. All were likely born in Argyllshire. Only one of these siblings was known by name, a sister named Nancy born about 1930. I just had a major breakthrough and found her birth registration.  Nancy was born in January 1931 and the margin states she was adopted. She was born in Oban, Argyll. I have more details (full birth name etc.) but there is a chance she is living so I will hold onto those for now.

About that time, a couple holidaying in Argyll offered to adopt my mother who was being raised by an aunt. The offer was refused as the aunt had promised her own mother to raise Mum. The interested family were the people who distilled Vat 69 Whisky so I conclude they must have been part of the Sanderson family of Edinburgh.

I had heard that this couple wished to have a little girl in particular. They may have had boys already. If anyone is researching their Sanderson roots and knows of an adopted girl in the past, this may be my long missing aunt.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Sandersons the Vat 69 Distillers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 22 13:05 BST (UK) »
The interested family were the people who distilled Vat 69 Whisky so I conclude they must have been part of the Sanderson family of Edinburgh.
Looks quite likely.

However Vat 69 is not a single malt, but a blend of malt and grain whiskies. A good blended whisky can contain spirit from many different distilleries. THie Sandersons almost certainly bought in whisky from other distillers to make up the blend, so there is an outside chance that the would-be adoptive parents weren't Sandersons.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.