Author Topic: Thomas Grieve and His Parents (Missing Records)  (Read 5479 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Grieve and His Parents (Missing Records)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 September 22 07:41 BST (UK) »
I see from the marriage record that Thomas’ father was a surveyor.
There is in this 1851 census a John Grieve age 23 who is working as a surveyor.
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59046f0ee9379091b1381d56/john-grieve-1851-roxburghshire-st-boswells-1828-?locale=en

He was son of Robert GRIEVE (shoemaker) and Margaret LINDSAY.
I can’t pick him up again in later census records, so that doesn’t help much.

Have you considered that John Grieve and Margaret GOODALL were not married? Thomas may have been registered under his mother’s name.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 September 22 08:47 BST (UK) »
Can I ask where the 2 different records of residence come from in 1881 (Nairnshire/Peebleshire)?
It's from an Ancestry tree therefore cannot be relied on - you need to view the original document to see what it actually says. (FWIW FindMyPast only says Peebles-shire; no mention of Nairnshire.)

However it appears to say that son Thomas is 23, therefore born in 1847/1848. Also hedging is a very different skill from surveying. So it's probably not actually worth looking it up.

Thomas' age is consistent in the 1901 and 1911 census - 36 and 46 - suggesting a birth in 1864/1865, but on his marriage he says 34, giving a birth date of 1862/1863.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 September 22 02:44 BST (UK) »
Have you considered this birth index entry...

GOODALL THOMAS ALEXANDE 1862
685/3 243 Canongate (Edinburgh/Midlothian)

1901 census Thomas did state he was born in Midlothian.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 September 22 09:19 BST (UK) »
According to the IGI Thomas Alexander Goodall, b 3 March 1862 in Edinburgh, was the son of Thomas Goodall and Janet Steedman.

He must have died because they had another Thomas b 14 February 1868.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ThatAndyGuy93

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 October 22 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help and apologies for my late response. I'm still seeking the elusive birth record of Thomas Grieve. I will continue trying!

Andy