Author Topic: 1836 marriages "proclaimed"  (Read 1890 times)

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1836 marriages "proclaimed"
« on: Saturday 17 September 22 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, my People Of Interest are in a 1-liner further down this page (see image), which states only: date; names; parish name.  That's the same for most other entries; just two longer entries mention the word "married".  At the top of the page it says "proclaimed" as you see.

So, is this proof of marriage and is the date beside my POI their marriage date?
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1836 marriages "proclaimed"
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 22 09:31 BST (UK) »

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 22 12:02 BST (UK) »
I agree, Kay. It looks like the standard entry for proclamations. Often these have dates of the proclamations and the actual ceremony.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 22 12:46 BST (UK) »
The thing to be remembered here is that prior to the introduction of Statutory registers in 1855 in Scotland, these are church parish registers and not marriages (or births).

Generally they are considered as "proof" of marriage, since no direct marriage register exists in most cases, but yes these are usually records of the proclamation of the banns, rather than the date of the actual marriage (except where as mentioned you have a further addition of "married on ...). The same often goes for births, where in many cases what you will find is the record of the child's baptism, with the actual birth date sometimes but not always included.

Ultimately what you add to your tree is a matter of personal choice. Some put the date given as the birth or marriage since they have no other date they can use, others scrupulously list the baptism or banns and simply give the actual birth or marriage as "about."

One other detail - once the banns were announced, if the couple subsequently DIDN'T marry, that would often appear in the kirk session records, so if you have access to those and no mention appears, you can be pretty confident of the marriage taking place.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 September 22 13:25 BST (UK) »
These marriage-related records can be very sketchy. I looked at the index to see the actual date for your couple and it was 4th September 1836. That was a Sunday, so was probably the date of the first proclamation of banns.