Author Topic: John Tanfield born before 1821 father of Samuel  (Read 724 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: John Tanfield born before 1821 father of Samuel
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 October 22 10:21 BST (UK) »
Maddy

I reported it as an omission as well. It says they are done weekly so hopefully that is correct and we should see something within the next few days.

Ian C

Was reminded of this today by something else, so I checked - the current status of the report still says "awaiting investigation", must be almost 6 weeks later ...  ::)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 October 22 11:44 BST (UK) »
I've been checking the GRO site periodically since the error was posted to them but as you say Maddy still "awaiting investigation". Mine was dated 20 September so almost 5 weeks.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 March 23 10:33 GMT (UK) »
The GRO site has been finally updated to show the Samuel birth 1841 Thirsk, and has mmn as SIMPSON

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SignalHill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 March 23 11:55 GMT (UK) »
The record of John TANFIELD on the Queen Bee from Papers Past
Daily Southern Cross 9 January 1869 Page 2
ARRIVAL OF THE SHIP QUEEN BEE FROM LONDON. The clipper ship Queen Bee, 726 tons, Captain John Leslie, anchored off Rangitoto [Auckland] about six o'clock last evening, after a smart passage of 99 days from the Downs. The Queen Bee left the Downs on the 1st of October, with forty-one passengers...
We regret to state that during the voyage two of the passengers died— Alexander Forgie, on the 12th November, of dropsy in the chest and John Townfield, on December 7, of consumption.

New Zealand Herald 9 January 1869 Page 4
Two deaths occurred, the first being Mr. Alexander Forgie who died of dropsy on the 12th November, aged 62 years; and on the 7th December, Mr. John Tanfield died of consumption.

Signal
Calvert Dobson Metcalfe;  Otago, Yorkshire
Johns Blewett;   Bendigo, Cornwall
Turnbull Hempseed Matheson;  Otago, Bendigo, Lothian
Butterfield;   NZ, Yorkshire
Brewer Tothill;   NZ, Gloucester London
Klee;   Canterbury, London, Hanover
Cutler;   Fordingbridge Hampshire
Hill ;  Taranaki
Gordon Dunn;   Otaki Wellington
Anderson;   Canterbury Tyrone

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 March 23 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Good to know the GRO has finally updated the index, and that the mmn shows this particular Samuel as son of Thomas and Mary. However, it still doesn't really help solve the dilemma of father "John". Without any other evidence I'm still inclined to think an unintentional mistake was made on the death certificate. I can't really see a way around this problem - perhaps dna. I've looked in newspapers unsuccessfully for any mention of the family of a Samuel TANFIELD leaving for NZ.  :-\

Offline SignalHill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 March 23 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes Maddy,
Spent some time scouring Papers Past for a Death Notice for John Tanfield hoping That [brother ?] Samuel might have inserted something. I didn't find anything for John Tanfield but this notice  appeared for  Alexander Forgie,the other death on the Queen Bee

New Zealand Herald 13 January 1869 Page 4
DEATH.
FORGIE.—On board the ship 'Queen Bee' ou the 12th Nov. last, whilst on the passage from London to Auckland, Mr. Alexander Forgie, Baker, late of Lithingow[Linlithgow], Scotland, aged 62 years;

[I suspect Otago Newspapers would not have printed the typo]

Signal
Hill ;  Taranaki

Offline SignalHill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 March 23 03:40 GMT (UK) »
In case you are interested, a death notice for Thomas TANFIELD:

"On Saturday, Mr. Thomas Tanfield, aged 63, and rural postman, accidentally fell from his mail cart at Sessay near Thirsk, alighting on his shoulder, thereby receiving such injuries that he died on Monday"
Saturday,  Nov. 25, 1865
Publication: Leed's Times

(Another report says he fell on his head and suffered a concussion from which he did not recover.)

"TANFIELD. - On the 20th instant, at St James Green, Thirsk, aged 63, Mr. Thomas Tanfield, many years a letter carrier."
Saturday,  Nov. 25, 1865
Publication: Yorkshire Gazette

A few other mentions in newspapers earlier if you are interested, though none that mention his children's names that i can see.

Interesting to place this item alongside the following from Papers Past

New Zealand Herald 10 July 1868
HAMILTON.
(FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENT.) July 7.
Whether it is the effect of the very wintry weather we have had, or other causes, I know not, but lately the time of the arrival of the mail at Hamilton has been getting later and later ; 2.30 p.m. is tho proper time of its arrival, but on Tuesday last it was near 1 p.m., and at Friday it did not arrive until some time after dark, causing great inconvenience to those of our settlers who have to come in some miles for their letters. If it had not been for tho courtesy of our postmaster, Mr. Tanfield, who delivered tho mail on its arrival, we should had to have waited till tho following morning, thus precluding the opportunity of replying to any business letters till to-morrow.  Some long time ago a meeting was called and a committee was appointed to raise funds for the erection of a bridge, and the making of a road on the east side of the river from Hamilton to Ngaruawahia, but since then the project seems to have died a natural death, as no bridge or road has been made; and bore we have the Rangiriri diggings commencing when the road would be of the greatest service to both East Hamilton and Cambridge. If it is intended to be done, if left much longer, I fear that if the funds are forthcoming there will be some difficulty about the labor.

Samuel spent a decade or so in Hamilton so not directly in touch with Auckland shipping --
Though mail arrived then in a fraction of the time it now takes.

Signal
Hill ;  Taranaki