Author Topic: birth and death look up plz  (Read 577 times)

Offline johnstonville

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
birth and death look up plz
« on: Tuesday 20 September 22 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone help me with birth and death records for James Johnston, born abt 1822 in Dumfries.  He married Helen Rutherford and they had 8 children.  The family lived in Bladnoch village, Wigtown.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: birth and death look up plz
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 05:46 BST (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 06:14 BST (UK) »
Same family here - I already posted both birth and death for James details.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=866001.msg7363693#msg7363693
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 06:29 BST (UK) »
johnstonville...

You need to make it clear which post RCers should respond to as there will be a lot of duplication of effort i.e. several people looking up info. you already have.

You can (& should) ask a Mod to close posts to replies on posts with least info. & direct people to one thread only of your own choice or theirs as 3 threads is a bit of a run-around & not needed.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone help me with birth and death records for James Johnston, born abt 1822 in Dumfries. 
You have been told on one of your duplicate threads that he died in 1906. You can, and I recommend that you should, look up the original document for yourself at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. You have the same access to it as everyone else.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline johnstonville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 September 22 18:06 BST (UK) »
well actually, I only posted the question ONCE!!
I thought this was a friendly place to ask questions, you are not MADE to look up anything.  And no, I do not have access to the scots people website.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 September 22 18:16 BST (UK) »
well actually, I only posted the question ONCE!!
You have started three separate threads about the same people on two separate county forums without cross-referencing them.

By and large, RootsChat volunteers do enjoy helping to answer questions - that's why we are here - but it is discouraging to spend time on a question only to find that it has already been answered in another thread.

And no, I no do have access to the scots people website.
You have exactly the same access as everyone else. Scotland's People is a pay-per-view site, not a subscription site.

Asking for a look-up of an original document there is effectively asking someone to spend their own money for you.

I suggest that you now buy a few Scotland's People credits and use some of them to view the certificates already found for you by RootsChat members.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline johnstonville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 September 22 05:25 BST (UK) »
the questions i asked ONE time only
1, a marriage look up
2, a birth and/or death cert on 1 female
3, a birth and/or death cert on 1 male
these are 3 separate questions, NOT repeated questions.
I posted in 2 separate county forums, because i know they were born in different counties, so I posted 1 in each county for each person.
Thanks for making such a big fuss about this, and please ignore any other posts i might put in here

Moderator comment: topic locked since there are replies with information on the other threads linked to above.