Author Topic: The Richardson's of Jarrow  (Read 5778 times)

Offline Tomscot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The Richardson's of Jarrow
« on: Monday 05 September 05 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi.
    Can anyone please help me trace my Gt/Gt/Gt/Grandfather William Richarson, I have no date of birth,but he was married to a Elizabeth McCarthy on the11/07/1802 in Jarrow,and he was a shoemaker. His son my gt/gt/grandfather James McCarthy Richardson was born in North Shields 07/04/1804, I don't know if he was an only child or if he had any brothers or sisters.If anyone can help me trace William and his family, I would be most grateful.
                                           Many Thanks
                                                              tomscot ???
Sussex,Prodger,Goldsmith,Woods,Roberts, Pankhurst, Green,Souton,Lamper,Lower,Reeds,Turner,Hover,Bennet,Elliard,Peyt,Potter,West,Jeffrey, English,Seal, Clark,Hill,Salter, Carpenter,Blackman,Ince,Booker,Lacy,Acton,Marten,Cressey,Driver,Sowter,Young,Mitchell. Northumberland,Richardson. Northamptonshire, Lines,Pittom,Ward,Hall.Norfolk,Lake,Barnard,Spinks,Stephens,Griston,Gooch, Olley Holman.London Lake.Somerset, Rendell.Scotland, Muir, Clark,Aitken,

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Richardson's of Jarrow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 05 21:42 BST (UK) »
It is always difficult to know what people have tried already.  www.familysearch.org is a first for looking for baptisms.  If you find the child you want you can double click on the batch number and then put in the surname and parents' names and it may bring up other children.  try altering the last number of the batch number in case they are on the next or previous film.  You can do the same with the marriage films.   If they do not appear at all on that, and it is not full coverage by any means, then you need to check the original parish records either at the record office or on film at your nearest LDS centre.  Listed on familysearch.
There is a chance that William and Elizabeth will be alive in 1841 so a search of that might help.   Searching the early deaths on www.1837online.com might find them too.   Wills may help but many did not make them in those days.
I think it is more likely that the parish records are the only way now.
Andrea

Offline Tomscot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
                Thank you for email,I will try that line, thank you for your help, the Richardson side of the family tree has been a bit hard to trace. My gt/gt/grandfather James McCarthy Richardson was born in North Shield, he moved to East Sussex, he married in 1830 in Alfriston Sussex to a Charity Turner, he died in1876 in St Annes Lewis. forward of that time  up until the present day is easy to trace as my grandmother kept a Family Bible, its going back in time. Once again thank for your help
                              Kind Regards

Thomas
Sussex,Prodger,Goldsmith,Woods,Roberts, Pankhurst, Green,Souton,Lamper,Lower,Reeds,Turner,Hover,Bennet,Elliard,Peyt,Potter,West,Jeffrey, English,Seal, Clark,Hill,Salter, Carpenter,Blackman,Ince,Booker,Lacy,Acton,Marten,Cressey,Driver,Sowter,Young,Mitchell. Northumberland,Richardson. Northamptonshire, Lines,Pittom,Ward,Hall.Norfolk,Lake,Barnard,Spinks,Stephens,Griston,Gooch, Olley Holman.London Lake.Somerset, Rendell.Scotland, Muir, Clark,Aitken,

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 19:01 BST (UK) »
I see that in 1851 in Alfriston James Richardson was the schoolmaster.   I wonder if there are any school records you could look at?    Might even see his handwriting etc.
Andrea

Offline Tomscot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
                  How did you know that?as I said forward has been easy, he was also a Surveyor/Postmaster and a Parish clerk, this has all been documented.Well once again thanks for your help,
                                         Regards
                                                    Thomas

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 18:43 BST (UK) »
I have the 1851 census index for Alfriston!   Let me know if you do not have that record.
Andrea