Author Topic: Harrison/Griffield couple - most elusive  (Read 570 times)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Harrison/Griffield couple - most elusive
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 September 22 07:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, everyone.    That's quite a lot to get my teeth into now.    What a complicated lot.    I had feared that at the very least there would be misspellings involved!

In answer to your question about the witnesses to the marriage, Queenie, their names were R and D Foster.     (It's a good question to ask, because I remember one of my biggest brick walls in my own family was finally opened by information that came to light about two marriage witnesses!).    Siobhán
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 September 22 07:34 BST (UK) »
William S. Harrison, Head, Married, aged 40, b.1841, Male, Shipwright, Sunderland, Durham   
Ann Harrison, Wife, Married, aged 28, b.1853, Female, Sunderland, Durham   

with their children, including: Charles Harrison, Son, aged 5, b.1876, Male, Scholar, Sunderland, Durham

In 1891, he is still living with his family, but is now an 'apprentice shipwright.'   

That family does look promising.
Birth rego for Charles from that family:
HARRISON, CHARLES  HENRY    Mother: RUSBY 
GRO Reference: 1875  M Quarter in SUNDERLAND  Volume 10A  Page 730

Possible 1901 census?
Chas H Harrison, 26 Born Durham, single, iron founder. He is a visitor with the McClure family in Norris Bank, Lancashire.
Only problem – he is single.

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 September 22 07:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neale 1961.      I'm a little wary of that birth reg for the Charles Harrison I'm looking for because, as you say, it appears to match up with the single Charles Henry Harrison in 1901, who is shown as an iron founder.     Of course, he may have changed jobs, be living away from the family and not admitting he is married etc.!     I did find quite a few Charles Harrisons who didn't fit for one reason or another.   This is a bit of a minefield.     Nevertheless, I've kept a note of him, thanks.

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 September 22 07:57 BST (UK) »
Yes agreed – be wary with such a common name.
But 1891 Durham census for Charles Harrison apprentice shipwright, shows an older brother Frederick in the Iron foundry business.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 September 22 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neale 1961.      I'm a little wary of that birth reg for the Charles Harrison I'm looking for because, as you say, it appears to match up with the single Charles Henry Harrison in 1901, who is shown as an iron founder.     Of course, he may have changed jobs, be living away from the family and not admitting he is married etc.!     I did find quite a few Charles Harrisons who didn't fit for one reason or another.   This is a bit of a minefield.     Nevertheless, I've kept a note of him, thanks.

That is the correct birth registration for the Charles, son of William Stott Harrison, shipwright, of Sunderland, Durham. The mother's maiden name is Rusby, which is correct. I checked it based on the registration of Charles' older brother Frederick, who is also on the 1881 and 1891 census with him, and his mother's maiden name was also Rusby.

William Stott Harrison married Margaret Lamb Rushby in 1865 and Eliza Ann Rushby (sister of Margaret) in 1875. I guess Eliza Ann must be Charles' mother?

I can't explain the 1901 census, as the occupation is wrong. As he was a visitor, I wonder if the head of household, who may have been the one who spoke to the enumerator, made a mistake. It could possibly be a different man, I suppose.

You are right when you say that Ellen and Charles have not made it easy for you!

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 September 22 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for clarifying that, Queenie.   I'll keep a note, in that case.  S