Author Topic: Isaac Rendell marks  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Rendell marks
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 September 22 04:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much amondg,that has definitely cleared everything up for me,really appreciate all of your hard work,kind regards Dean

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 September 22 04:13 BST (UK) »
1851 census Blackwell Street
Ann Randle wd 46 shoe binder
Matilda 22
Sania [Siniah] 19
Sarah Ann Marks 5 grand daughter born London
Charles 3 months grand son born Kidderminster

1861 census Blackwell Street
Ann Randall 16 born London

1871 Rack Hill Kidderminster
Charles Ricketts 20
Sarah Ann Marks 27 boarder

1872 Charles Ricketts and Sarah Ann Marks marry.

**So there may be another daughter Sarah Ann her marriage certificate would give her fathers name

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 September 22 04:17 BST (UK) »
Just in case the Somerset Isaac is yours, he got in trouble 17 January 1844 for stealing bread.
Wilton Goal. Taunton Somerset.

On the 18th January 1844 it gives a description 5' 71/2 inches, gray eyes, fair complexion, light brown hair, occupation cordwainer of West Coker.

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 September 22 04:47 BST (UK) »
Hello amondg,having read through all the replies I do not think the Somerset Isaac is my ancestor,I am almost certain the Blackwell street Isaac is my relation,it was an interesting story though,Somerset Isaac stealing bread,my betsy though(Elizabeth of Blackwell street) was also arrested for drunk and disorderly,these were very hard times for our ancestors,thank you Dean

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 September 22 18:25 BST (UK) »
Will start backwards and work forwards but a lot has already been posted.

Isaac Rendell Marks bp.25/12/1825 West Coker, Somerset, son of Robert Marks and Mary (nee Sandford, married 3/12/1806 West Coker).

Betsy Randall bp.21/1/1824 Kidderminster, Worcestershire, dau. of Henry and Anne (haven’t found an obvious marriage).

Isaac Marks, 33, shoemaker, son of Robert Marks, labourer married Elizabeth Randall, 24, dau. of Henry Randall, Glazier on 18/4/1848 West Coker – one of the witnesses was a William Randall.

So far, so good.

Children:

Sarah Ann bc.1845 London (born prior to marriage)
Charles b.1851, bp.17/2/1851 Kidderminster, bur.28/4/1856 Kidderminster, son Isaac and Betsy
Thirza b.1854, bp.8/6/1855 Kidderminster, bur.7/1/1855 aged 14 months, dau. Isaac and Betsy.
William b.1856 Kidderminster but not baptised until 30/5/1867
Lydia b.1859 Kidderminster but not baptised until 30/5/1867

In 1851 Kidderminster Sarah Ann 6 and Charles 3 months are with their maternal grandmother Ann Randle (plus Ann’s dau’s Matilda 22 and Sania (?) 19).
1851 Isaac Marks is back with his father in West Coker but is showing as unmarried (enumator error?)
1851 Elizabeth Marks 26 at The Bank, Blackwell St. Kidderminster with 2 lodgers – like her husband she is shown as unmarried.

During 1850’s Betsy gave birth to 3 more children – all shown to be children of Isaac and Betsy from their baptism records – but 2 of her 5 children died, Charles in 1856 and Thirza in 1855).

1861 dau. Sarah Ann is still with her grandmother Ann Randall at Blackwell St. Kidderminster. Betsy herself appears to be living at 17 Rack Hill, Kidderminster (Charwoman) – shown as Married but has a boarder living with her.  Can find no trace of son William, dau. Lydia in 1861 so perhaps ‘in care’ somewhere and only shown by initials.   No trace of Isaac Marks either – in fact, never seen again in UK records.

In 1864 – shown as Betsy Mark – Betsy remarried to a Thomas Thompson 29/12/1864 Kidderminster.   No trace of original record online so don’t know what she gave as her status but suspect she married as a spinster as son Thomas b.Dec.1864 has mmn as Marks!!

1871 Sarah A Marks is shown as a boarder with Charles Ricketts who she subsequently marries in 1872.  States she was born Kidderminster but having lived with her grandmother there all her life no doubt believed she was (and not London as given by her grandmother in 1851 and 1861).  In 1871 – listed as Tomson – we find Thomas and Betsy with William 14 and Lydia 11 also listed as Tomson.  Ages for Thomas and Betsy are wrong as both show bc.1841.

1881 at Rack Hill, Kidderminster – piece 2899, folio 45, page 41 – Thomas now born ca1824 and Betsy ca1825 (which is more like it) with ‘Lidia’ 22 – again shown as Thompson and their own son Thomas.   Lydia Marks married just after census (reg’d Jun.qtr.1881 Kidderminster).

In 1891 Thomas and Betsy still at Rack Hill in Kidderminster (which appears to adjoin Blackwell St) .
Thomas Thompson didn’t die until 1916 but can’t find an obvious death entry for Betsy (or as Elizabeth) Thompson although Thomas shown as a widower in 1911.

Certainly, Isaac Marks ‘disappears’ after 1851 census although shown as father on his childrens baptisms (births 1850’s) so effectively disappears ca.1859 when last child born.  Not until 1871 does Betsy ever have any of her children with her – by now she has married Thomas Thompson and both William and Lydia listed with stepfathers surname.

The Somerset Isaac IS your man, Dean, albeit he disappears (marriage certificate proves it).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 04:17 BST (UK) »
Wow,thank you so much Annette,you have done so much digging into my family,this must have been so difficult as Betsy and Isaac were from totally different towns a long way apart,and for you to bring it all together must have took a lot of time and work,I really appreciate everything you have done for me in clearing up this side of our family tree,you are a real credit to rootschat,thank you so much,kindest regards,Dean